· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile Initial Success on the Nitrate/Phosphate War

0 Not allowed!
    Well, a planted aquarium really is worth the effort (ok, too soon to say that since I haven't faced any algae issues ... yet.) As I mentioned in an earlier thread my tap has developed a 5 ppm nitrate signal. So between water changes my total nitrate levels were hitting between 5 and 10 ppm and could get even higher some weeks! So I was considering an active system to remove them. This is one minor reason I ordered plants - to help this issue, but I assumed they'd have only a minor effect, at best.

Now, my nitrate level is around/below 1 ppm. As I talked about in another post here, my previously always sky-high phosphate level (even after repeated 90% water changes and zero on the tap) has now dropped below 1ppm, - I am rather amazed by this sudden and large drop.

While I have a lot of plants (but rather low growth density) I did not expect such dramatic drops in these parameters.

I am also rather surprised the val like plants are all getting ‘buds’ and one ground plant is growing a flower like extension – all within the first week (way too soon I’d think.)

This will really help in my always 'on going battle' against the evil beast algae. While my lights are CFL’s in this tank, they favor a more balanced color rather than red/blue – so, I know better than to drop my guard.

I do add some ferts (K, Mg, S, Iron) and have just started to add a few root tabs (way, way to early for those to be working.) My CO2 system is just very simple yeast bottle with a plastic box trap - so it is rather ineffective. Esp. considering I use a bio-wheel (no way around this since the discus consume far more oxygen than the surface area can provide.

The really strange part is that its the other tank with the correct lighting - aquarium plant LED’s. I do ferts but no CO2 system – for this tank, the Nitrates/phosphates are not as low (but far better now.)

Conclusion: I believe even my minor yeast system is having a significant effect. Maybe some extra CO2, even if minor, is worth the trouble …maybe.
    Last edited by Cermet; 05-02-2012 at 03:12 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    As I talked about in another post here, my previously always sky-high phosphate level (even after repeated 90% water changes and zero on the tap) has now dropped below 1ppm, - I am rather amazed by this sudden and large drop.
    Where are the phosphates coming from? They're not coming from the tap water. It's good that the plants are helping to keep phosphate low, but how did they get high in the first place? Over feeding?
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Glad your enjoying the plants Cermet and that they are helping your tank.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus
    Where are the phosphates coming from? They're not coming from the tap water. It's good that the plants are helping to keep phosphate low, but how did they get high in the first place? Over feeding?
    Over feed a discus? Impossible as far as they are concerned ... .

Yes, discus are phosphate machines and that is a fact of life with these fish - zero food remains on the bottom after a few minutes (in fact, my corys would strave if I didn't get them food at night.) Heck, they chow down my baby tears plant like it is a salad. They must be feed twice a day. So, phosphates are a bane and one reason constant water changes are required (of course, nitrates are an issue, too.) Yet, water changes just couldn't keep up so I am rather pleased they have dropped so low, for now ... .

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    Over feed a discus? Impossible as far as they are concerned ... .

LOL...Discus are beautiful fish but must have very clean water. Sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about a discus tank.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"