· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Snail looks really dead this time

0 Not allowed!
    Little Ronnie Jeremy, my mystery snail, has come up with several ways to fool me into thinking it's dead.

I think this time it really is. It was floating in the tank with the operculum partway open, its color pale gray, with thick fuzz growing all over it, including the soft parts. It also smells bad.

The betta is fine. Parameters were 78 degrees, pH 6.6 and steady, and 1, 0 2.5 for nitrogen compounds, which is consistent for a tank with a dead snail in it, IMO.

I've put the snail in a disposable cup of tank water for a wake: if it's dead, it won't contaminate the tank, but if it's alive, it's got 8 hours to move before I have a funeral.

I also did a major water change in the tank to get the ammonia down.

I think I won't replace the snail, because (a) I don't know what killed it, (b) it was more work than the fish to feed and (c) it seemed to be a pretty big bioload for the tank (5 gallon planted).

RIP, Little Ronnie Jeremy.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear you lost your little fellow
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    If it smells bad, it's dead. All the other indications point to it, also.

My large snails fooled me numerous times, and I hauled them out of the tank into a separate container with tank water and left them there to see if they would eventually show some signs of life. Ultimately, I would pick them up and smell them. No odor -- still alive.

Sounds like yours really is gone...

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

0 Not allowed!
    Concure, the stink of death is among it. It's unmistakable!!! Once you smell that up close from a snail, it will haunt your nostrils FOREVER!!!

Very sorry for your loss Suda Nim. I lost all three of mine a couple weeks back, from old age. I don't think Apple Snails live all that long, once the reach full size. All mine died of the same size.

I won't really speculate on what caused it, though if Ph of 6.8 wasn't caused by death of snail, it may have been a contributing factor.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As the line goes in Paint Your Wagon:

"He better be dead, 'cause I'm gonna bury him!"

After six hours in the cup, the snail only got fuzzier and smellier. After thinking of several ritualistic ways to deal with the death, I wrapped it in a plastic bag and put it in the trash.

0 Not allowed!
    Inexpensive fertilizer for a flower garden ... that's what mine became when they croaked.

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i just lost my Blue yesterday too, and i think my Ivory is on the way out too. Sorry for your loss. :( RIP Ronnie Jeremy.

Apple/Mystery/whatever else they call them snails seem to die so easily. I think im not going to replace mine with another apple either. They always seem to die on me within 3 months. I have much better luck with Nerite Snails. They are much smaller too. U should try them. Im going to wait for my other apple to croak and replace those two with nerites again.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    I was more morbid, made the shells aquarium decor. On the first one, body was completely gone, before I noticed. The MTS cleaned him out well.