· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Algae scrubber experiment

0 Not allowed!
    I built an algae scrubber this weekend as an experiment for my 75g aquarium. Currently, the 75g only has live rock, sand and 3 blue life clear fx for filtering.

Would anyone be interested in the results over the next few months? If so, I will post up the information and let everyone konw.

Also, if results are wanted is it okay to post them here or should I post somewhere else?
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

0 Not allowed!
    What is the experiment for? What results are you looking for? Params or actual types of algae that grow or what?

I know myself and chrisfraser both run scrubbers and are happy with them but if you're doing something different definitely post your results/design here I'm sure people would be interested
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyhead019
    What is the experiment for? What results are you looking for? Params or actual types of algae that grow or what?

I know myself and chrisfraser both run scrubbers and are happy with them but if you're doing something different definitely post your results/design here I'm sure people would be interested
    I didn't know anyone on here that ran one. Did you post anything for your setup? Do you have just a scrubber or still run a skimmer and fuge?

This was my first build for one. The experiment part is to see if it will take the nitrates, nitrites and p04 to zero. This tank does not have anything special for filtration... just a typical sump. Currently, the nitrates are between 30-40ppm with the current filtering. They always seem to stay high even with water changes since these fish/eel eats a lot of food.

0 Not allowed!
    Yea eels are sloppy eaters from what I hear.

And there might be something on my set up in my journal somewhere haha but yea chris and I both use our scrubbers exclusively (no skimmer) and we've both had really good results, his better than mine but I'm a little lazier with WC's and I don't have as much flow as I should haha but anyways they're really effective since they basically just divert the stuff that would be growing in your DT to a mat where it grows better and absorbs more of the nutrients instead of the stuff in your DT eating it up

Problem with testing those params while you algae in the tank is you won't ever see any since the algae is eating it all up lol... the best sign you have trates or phosphates in there is the growth of nuisance algae
    Last edited by hockeyhead019; 04-09-2012 at 06:21 PM.
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyhead019
    Yea eels are sloppy eaters from what I hear.

And there might be something on my set up in my journal somewhere haha but yea chris and I both use our scrubbers exclusively (no skimmer) and we've both had really good results, his better than mine but I'm a little lazier with WC's and I don't have as much flow as I should haha but anyways they're really effective since they basically just divert the stuff that would be growing in your DT to a mat where it grows better and absorbs more of the nutrients instead of the stuff in your DT eating it up

Problem with testing those params while you algae in the tank is you won't ever see any since the algae is eating it all up lol... the best sign you have trates or phosphates in there is the growth of nuisance algae
    Did you by chance ever have dinoflagellates? If so, did this scrubber fix it?
    Have pictures of your setup?

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't ever have dinos and yea I think I have some pictures somewhere... I'll look for them and post them if not I'll try and snap some tonight and post them here

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Screen is finally turning a good green. I have not cleaned it yet but its doing what it is suppose to!

I ordered a new test kit and will start testing the nitrites and nitrates to see how well it does.

Also, decied to build a full enclosed LED acryllic scrubber for the 120g reef. Everything came in the mail today except for the heat sinks. So, maybe next week I should have it built.

If I remember I will add pics

8. Default

0 Not allowed!

Its growing! good. The light is a little close which explains the white spot on the screen.

New setup coming and I will take pics and record the data.

Also, new post on algaescrubber.net on a "upflow algae scrubber" Looks cool!