· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Guppy spines

1. Default Guppy spines

0 Not allowed!
    Soo, although my tanks are guppy-free at the moment I'm looking forward to restocking them. But I when I did have guppies I noticed that about half of them, within a few months time, developed a bent spine. Bent as in, the fish has a normal guppy shape for the first half and then in the middle of the back it is 'bent', with the rest of it curved downward. I've heard that genetics (due to inbreeding) may be the culprit, and I'm not surprised since all of them were from a large pet-store chain. I guess it could be age too, but I wouldn't think such a large portion were at the point of old age.

Recently I read that fish may develop a bent spine due to calcium deficiency. And the funny thing is it said that fish food, if aged over 2-3 months, may loose some of its calcium and vitamin value. And my fish food is actually over a year old (got it from my bro, who purchased a huge container).

So the guppies could possibly have developed the bent spines from poor nutrition, but most of them had a regular snack of algae wafer, and they also developed the bent spines quite quickly (varying from 1 week to a couple months). Do you think that my feeding/care could have contributed to the problem, or is breeding/age more a part of it? Any advice/ideas would be great.

0 Not allowed!
    I'd be very interested to hear the answer to this, as I have a Zebra Danio which randomly went bent in the spine a few months ago. He still seems healthy, just looks kinda retarded. :)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx
    I'd be very interested to hear the answer to this, as I have a Zebra Danio which randomly went bent in the spine a few months ago. He still seems healthy, just looks kinda retarded. :)
    Haha, precisely. They pretty much act normal, but they look all weird when they try to swim around. XD

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd like to add two more things that can cause bent spines. Old age+slight inbreeding, and old age+running into the wall too hard.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishkeeper
    I'd like to add two more things that can cause bent spines. Old age+slight inbreeding, and old age+running into the wall too hard.
    Yeah. I have a feeling that inbreeding is the culprit, at least for some of them. But I bought a small can of brand new fish food, so my new fish should be nutritionally taken care of.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    havent heard a right answer here yet, the real answer is that theyre spine mostly bends down in this occasion, ive had over 5 guppies this year with that problem, weaken the current.. try to slow down the current because guppies tails are to heavy for their small bodies to carry them. My Guppies doing the opposite now.. its tail is bending up and actinv very strange..
    10g 6 guppies, 4 golden snails.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Most pet store guppies are mass produced and are suffering from weak genetics. Try getting guppies from a reputable breeder and see if there's a difference.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by youngbreedy15
    havent heard a right answer here yet, the real answer is that theyre spine mostly bends down in this occasion
    And that's your solution to the "real" answer? Genetics, too much inbreeding, disease is the main culprit. Not the filters. Of course they don't want a cascade of water falling on them. No fish does. But that does not deform them for life.

I have to say that "running into the wall" was another good one. LOL

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!