· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Aquarium Backgrounds and Static Electricity

0 Not allowed!
    We recently set up a 40 Breeder in the middle of January when the heat was on and the air was dry. I chose a plain black background for the outside of the back of the tank, and it took forever to get all the little bits of dust and cat hair out, and they really show up if you don't get them out. The static electricity was not helping the matter!

Well, we got it to an acceptable state, and then a few weeks later while doing some work in the tank, a little water sloshed over the back edge and got between the glass and the background. UGH. I had to take it back off, dry it and the glass (and have only about an inch of clearance between the back of the tank and the wall), and start all over. I took our meter stick and wrapped a damp washcloth around it and cleaned the glass with that. Then I gently cleaned the plastic background on a flat surface the same way. And of course when I put the background back on it had all kinds of dust and wee kitty hairs. Grrr . . .

I knew it was just static electricity, right? Well here's a girly tip for you: We girls, when wearing dresses/skirts with slips and pantyhose often experience static electricity that can result in our skirts riding up =o/. The solution? We keep a dryer sheet in our purse to run over our legs, slip, and skirt to prevent static cling =o).

So I remembered this trick and . . . . wrapped a dryer sheet around the end of the meter stick, extending it about an inch beyond the end of the stick so that the metal tip would not scratch the glass or the background (meter stick is good because it's about 40 inches, giving you something to hold onto and still be able to go the length of a 36" tank) and taped the other end of the sheet to the stick. Then I ran the stick along the glass (did not smudge), and then ran the dryer sheet lightly over the plastic background. Then we placed the background - nearly dust/hair free! Here's the best part: I could then run the stick with the dryer sheet BETWEEN the glass and the background to pick up any stray dust/hairs. It worked really, really well!

Doing the dust-free happy dance =o). It looks GREAT. Just had to share the tip!
    40 Breeder, UGF (Keepin' it simple)
    Community Tank with Kribs (Bubbles and Jerry), Swordtails, Mollies, Cherry Barbs, Corys, Scissortails, Cardinals, Tiger Barbarians (ha), two zippy Zebra Danios and one fast-growing Common Pleco named Alfred.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank is VERY sharp - wow!

Good idea on the anti-static device.