· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Betta + guppies?

0 Not allowed!
    I know, it sounds like a bad idea. But here's the thing: I'm wondering if I can successfully keep female guppies with a male betta. The females will have less tail and less color to attract the betta's attention, and they might be faster, too.

So has anyone had success with this? Does it sound like a good idea or no? Ideally I would have the betta, 2-4 female guppies, and some ghost shrimp in the tank (it's ten gallons, currently empty).

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on the betta. Some are more aggresive than others. I've however seen it done before. This is one of my favourite videos ( -- I cannot get videos to show in messages for the life of me! Sorry!), and it mainly works because of how heavily planted it is.

Also, if you do it, introduce everything else first, wait a while, and then put the betta in.

And make sure you have a back up tank if things don't go swell.
    "Can ye fathom the ocean, dark and deep, where the mighty waves and the grandeur sweep?" - Fanny Crosby

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVoldevader
    Depends on the betta. Some are more aggresive than others. I've however seen it done before. This is one of my favourite videos ( -- I cannot get videos to show in messages for the life of me! Sorry!), and it mainly works because of how heavily planted it is.

Also, if you do it, introduce everything else first, wait a while, and then put the betta in.

And make sure you have a back up tank if things don't go swell.
    Wow, cool vid! I have a combo of live and plastic plants in the tank now, but I have been thinking about adding more, which would be good for the community thing.

I do have a back-up place for him, it would just be nice if he could be in the 10g because it's more roomy and has a more stable temperature. But we'll see how it goes!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't had any luck with bettas and fish that swim around middle/top.

My bettas do seem to be fine with bottom dwellers though.

I agree with Voldevader, it really depends on the betta.
    ~Col~

4 ft 60g FW: 2 angels, 4 blind cave, 1 whiteskirt, 4 gold widows, 6 serpaes, 1 neonhead apisto, 4 clown loaches, 4 albino cory, 2 bronze corys & 3 BN plecos.
    23g FW: 1 neonhead apisto, 1 yoyo, 2 albino BN plecos & 4 pepper cory
    5.5g: Crowntail Betta, 6 black Khuli's & RCS
    5 g: Crowntail Betta, 1 albino cory (Quasi), 4 baby khuli's & RCS
    7 g: Dragontail Betta & 2 albino cory
    3ft Axi tank: 1 black, 1 gold - 1 redcap oranda & 2 albino cory

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above for depends on the Betta.

I've had them with Rasbora on short term so far, without any injuries. Seems to me, that if the fish is dull and lacking flowing finnage, it stands a fair chance. Also, if the fish is faster than the Betta (Seems my Crowntail is kinda on the slow side of swimming). But is important not to keep any fish with the Betta that seems to be stressing the Betta out. So, have a back up plan in place first.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    100% depends on the betta. I had one in a 30g community tank before with Harlequin Raspboras and Cardinal Tetras and had no problems at ALL. Had a different one in the same tank after the first passed, and holy crap did he not do well in there.

All you can do is try and have another home ready for the betta in case it doesn't work out.