· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default is there a way to tame a pleco?

0 Not allowed!
    I recently bought a tank and it came with three plecos.
    I have moved them into a 45 long tank (until I decide to rehome them) which they are sharing with 6 danios (only because I can't catch the little devils and a handful of cherry shrimps. The tank is all sand with a couple of large stones that the plecos hide under. This tank is located right beside my computer desk.
    I like these fish and watching them skim across the sand is enjoyable but I only get to see them out of the corner of my eye. When I look away for a long time, they come out and swim around with their fins way up but as soon as I flinch or turn my head they instantly stop moving and drop their fins and hide.

Is there any way to make these fish even slightly braver? I would like to get a decent picture of them so I can try to identify them, but they really seem to be against that idea.

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Mine do the exact same thing, every now and then they even swim openly through the upper parts
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog
    Mine do the exact same thing, every now and then they even swim openly through the upper parts
    But only if I am not looking at them. It's almost a comedy routine. I turn my head and they reset their resting positions. Run for the camera, and they move again until I get back. Stare at them for an hour and I swear they don't even breathe. I have actually had to reach in and touch them just to be sure they still live.

They are a very pretty fish when they put their fins up and swim, it's just too bad they only do it when I am not looking. I literally have to pretend to look elsewhere to see them in action.
    Last edited by evilhorde; 04-29-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    giving them some pleco-friendly fruits/veggies may make them more visible. cucumber, zucchini, watermelon, and canteloupe are my plecs favs.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have had my Pleco for about a week now. Him and I have bonded pretty well. I never knew you could bond with a fish but I have. I give him algae wafers (there is no algae established in my tank yet that I can see that is a whole long affair that I am tired of telling) I also give him a small peice of cucumber for him. He is much more shy than most fish I have heard about but he does swim over to me at night when I have the lights off (just a hall light so I can actually see him) And boy can he cruise around his tank real fast. I dont know truly what caused my Pleco to warm up to me. But giving him real veggies and spending time with him at night when he is active may be worth a shot

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Only way to get ure pleco out more is:

Loadsa hiding places, dimmed lighting, foooood

The hiding and unpredictabile side of the plecos are all part of their charm
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mines very tame, doesn't usually care when my niece taps on his mouth. Sometimes a quick movement or the lights coming on make him uncomfortable.
    The tank is in my family room, so lots of traffic, and people looking close to the glass. Mind you, I have a decent current with my outputs and a powerhead.

With them raising their dorsal fin, they usually only have it fully extended when they want to catch a bit of the current and move sideways to sift, directional swimming, or when they feel threatened to look bigger (Some types hold the dorsal fin in to avoid damage). Some times they just have ti stretch quickly and it catches your eye making you look over, so it always seems like you just missed it. Otherwise, when they rest the fins are down, and they rest a lot lol
    Maybe add more current to the tank, or re-position the output nozzle, depending on your filter.
    Or let more algae grow on the substrate?
    Last edited by DeadSulphurhead; 04-30-2012 at 03:42 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a common sailfin pleco named Catfish who I have had since he was less than an inch long.He was always very shy and skittish and once he got bigger(4-5in) I started to realize how speedy he could be when startled.I wanted him to be less scared, so I decided that I would try to de-sensitize him. I have a suction cup that a can stick a piece of zucchini on the glass, so that when he comes out to eat I can sit next to the tank and watch him. Normally when he was out he would be startled by me even walking next to the tank. But when he has food to latch on to out in the open, and you make your presence known as no threat (and even the source of food), he will start to view you as he views the other fish in the tank, and he won't scatter. Catfish even takes algae pellets out of my hand. You just have to become a part of his daily life and environment , once your not a threat, your a friend :)

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think it has to do with the pleco itself they all have different personalitys. Mine is 'very tame I have plants,caves and other nooks for him to hide but he likes to be in the open when I'm cleaning ot have my hands in the tank he swims over to check me out lol I feed my fish at the same time every night and he's usually waiting for me so I think yours might be more tame the longer you have him and he gets used to you. I've also heard the older the get the more tame they get