· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Breeding Help

1. Default Breeding Help

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 Gallon tank with two AquaTech 60 Gallon filters on it. It is stocked with the following:

3" Black Male Convict
    2" Black Female Convict
    1" Pink Female Convict
    2.5" Male Salvini
    1.5" Female Blood Parrot
    Synodontis Eupterus

My Male Convict and the Black Female spend a lot of time together and I have bred the Male before but then he killed his partner. I was told to add other fish to the tank and that will help the bond between them become stronger. I added the Catfish 1st and nothing happened. Then I seen the Salvini and added it and the Smaller Female at the same time, nothing still happened and then I just recently added the Blood Parrot and nothing again happened. The water parameters are fine, the Temp is at 76 and they have been around each other nonstop. The last time My Male bred was in the summer and normally I don't worry about this but I feel like something could be wrong. They all seem fine they even chase other fish away from their spot but then there are times when the Male chases the Female he spends his time with and thats when I get very confused. If anyone knows or has any kind of advise that can help me make this happen please let me know. Thanks In Advanced.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When it comes down to it, it is all about her. When she is ready it will happen. Just wondering, but how big was the other female when they spawned?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    She was about 2" maybe a little smaller. He was 3" and they were in a 30 gallon tank then. He killed her and I got a new Female. Now I have 2 Females an I think one is too small but the other should be fine its just not happening for some reason.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know what is going on. It is possible she just isn't interested. I thought someone else would have chimed in by now with another opinion about it, but I guess not.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea I have no clue maybe I need to change her diet up the temp and see where that takes me, thanks for your help

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by D21right
    Yea I have no clue maybe I need to change her diet up the temp and see where that takes me, thanks for your help
    For many types of fish, a temperature drop causes the breeding cycle (when caused by a large water change.)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    some fish just arent compatiable and just arent interested. its really hard to tell. i would raise the temp slightly to 78, then do a water change with slightly colder water. this usually mimics rain, which promotes alot of fish to spawn. i doubt something is "wrong" if they are acting normaly minus the spawning. just give them time, if its going to happen it will eventually. additionaly feeding abundance of live food helps promote spawning.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you both, so I am supposed to do water changes with cooler water?? I didnt know that I would usually try to make it feel the same as the water that was already in the tank so I didnt drop the temp drastically. Also I feed them a good 4 times a day normally just Tropical Fish Flakes and sometimes as a treat Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp and Blood Worms I will add more of that to the diet and also more water changes.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, missed your post.

Well, there are two ways to do this temp drop thingy - lower the temp on the heater a few degree's and the next day, change a very large volume of water using that temp. Then you can bump the temp up.

The other way is to do a smaller water change and drop the temp that way (which is what happens in SA during the rainy season. This has been proven by scientist to cause discus to want to spawn. Most other (but I'm sure not all) SA fish will be programed to do the same.

In any case, worth a try (we are talking two, maybe three degrees F.)

Also, before doing this, I'd make the fish's diet more rich - frozen worms, and live brine shrimp for a few days.