· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Breeding Silver Molly

0 Not allowed!
    I have a really bloated silver molly (apparently pregnant). Since I never saw any fry the last time I assume they would have been eaten. I have now put the Silver Molly (Female) and the Male Black molly in a breeder tank. No further development since 4 Days. How long is the gestation period of the fry in case of the silver molly. How do I manage the fry in case they come out? This is the first time I am attempting breeding. So would be grateful for some specific advice
    Thanks and Cheers

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the male is not needed if she is already pregnant. gestation anywhere from 25-40days IME, depending on litter size. When fry are born remove mother. Feed normal flake food, crushed extra fine. Have a mesh thing over filter so they dont get sucked up. Vuala! Fry. :)
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dear Ekfishlover,
    Thanks for the advice. I had just put the Male in for company since I thought that the female would feel rather lonely all alone in the tank. It has already been a couple of weeks since she started appearing bloated so I guess It is high time to shift the Male out I suppose! Thanks

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well that was thoughtful to give her company. :) But yea it sounds like shes getting close, so less fish in the tank the better right now. Males will follow female around when she starts dropping fry waiting expectantly for some yummy snacks to come out.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

5. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Have removed the Male out of the tank. Seems a good advice. Though the female appears rather morose. Her movements have also got highly restriceted. She is normally rather active but is now staying quite still. Is this normal?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    is it like, hovering near the bottom? It can be normal depending how shes doing it. When they are ready to drop their fry they go down near the bottom and sit there and wait for the babies to start dropping. Like mammals lay down. Same principle. :)
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Still Waiting. She does hover, but not necessarily at the bottom of the tank. I hope it is not a false alarm. Only time will tell. Am going out for a couple of days. There is someone to take care though!.Hope she waits till I get back.

8. Smile Six Molly Fry : My first Success

0 Not allowed!
    The Molly gave birth to Six fry on 25/ 26 Apr. Some are black and some are silver/ Mixed. I had separated them as they were born. Is a litter of Six normal in Mollies? I am feeding them crushed flakes. Any other suggestions? How long should I wait for them to be fit enough to be introduced into my main tank. The biggest fish in my tank is a Red tailed Shark two inches Long.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats! Finally! 6 is small, but my last litter was only 4, so its not the smallest ive seen. Id say if the largest fish currently is only 2 inches, then by May 5th (ish) they should be big enough, if they grow at the rate mine do. 1/2" should be big enough. Once you can clearly see their features and the individual spots on the black ones if they are spotted without having to squint. At least 1/2 of parents size i always go by.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything