· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Angry Breeding of Red Claw Crab. Urgent!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I am gonna try to breed my crabs and therefore red very helpful article on AF, but do not understand some facts. Could anybody clarify why do I need timer for lights? Do I need to have lights on/off in certain intervals? If so, how frequent? And also, why should I gradually reduce the salinity to zero and when should I start introducing baby crabs to brackish water again? I'd be really gratefull if anybody could help.

0 Not allowed!
    The crabs need a photoperiod like people do, so you need a timer to turn the lights on at dawn, and off at dusk. You reduce the water to zero salinity because the crabs breed in freshwater. Not familiar with the species name of the crabs, but would think between five and six weeks post hatch would be the time to gradually increasing the salinity until you reach brackish water.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

3. Default ???

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your reply, although I find your advice regarding salinity quite confusing. All sources say, that you need to start off with 0.010 SG in breeding tank, which is even higher than in your regular aquarium for RCC (0.005), and then, gradually reduce salinity to zero. So I'd rather conclude, that in the wild, crabs release eggs down the river, closer to the sea, and then larvae travels up the river, where the salinity of water is lower. But I just don't get how they ever get to totally fresh water, considering that they're brackish water species...But I found another article by successful breeder and he kept salinity at the same level for entire process and it worked fine so I'll try this. Thanks anyway.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my guess is the red claw crabs go towards the ocean to mate, and then the parents carry the eggs back towards fresh water after they have mated since i think parents will carry the eggs for several weeks if im not mistaken. (i could be thinking of a different species though)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, did everything by the book, although it doesn't look good. The larvae doesn't want to eat artemia at all. They feed on fluid food only, and there is probably not more than 30 alive left in the tank :(