· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default First time with ich; need advice

0 Not allowed!
    (Yes, I know. I should have been using a quarantine tank all along. I got away with it for twelve years and now I know better). I have a 75g community tank with inexpensive sturdy fish; change 1/3 the water every 2-3 weeks.

I introduced five black skirt tetras into the tank from a chain store who I won't name. (I've bought fish from Petco many times, this was a different one - don't know if I just got unlucky or what). I apparently wasn't watching closely enough; within a week everything was infectetd with ich. I tried slowly raising the temp and adding salt but I think it was too far along; my fish were dying off daily.

Eleven days ago - moved the remaing fish to a hospital tank with Coppersafe at the recommended dosage. Did a 50% water change on the 75g tank and have left it at 80, filters and lights going, adding ammonia drops to keep the biofilter alive.

My question is : I know that keeping a tank empty kills off the critters as they need a host; how long do I need to have it empty? And how long do the fish need to be in the coppersafe before I can assume the ich is completely gone? The eight survivors appear healthy but I want to be sure the infection is wiped out.

Advice for the future: do you have to keep a quaratine tank up and running all the time, or can you just set one up with cycled water from the main tank and a chunk of sponge filter that has been in the filter unit?

Many thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    If I remember correctly, 3 or 4 weeks without a host should be good, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I would also suggest doing a gravel vac in your main tank to get rid of any of ick that is hiding there waiting for a host.

A lot of people keep a sponge filter running in there main tank. This results in having a seeded filter ready to go. That way, you can just take the sponge filter and move it into the QT tank when needed. If you use meds or treat a disease in the qt tank, you should replace the sponge and not put it back in your display tank.

I've never used Coppersafe before so I can't help you there
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I read they die within 48 hours of a host. Either way, if you can turn up the heat to 86, the heat method will kill them.

Update: Just read numerous articles and they all say the same thing. One person says a couple weeks and another 48 hours. Obviously no one knows! LOL Throw the heat and salt at that tank then do a large water change before adding the fish back if you want to play it safe.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-27-2012 at 02:02 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fpgill
    Advice for the future: do you have to keep a quaratine tank up and running all the time, or can you just set one up with cycled water from the main tank and a chunk of sponge filter that has been in the filter unit?
    Many thanks.
    It's not the water that cycles, it's the filter - which is why many people keep a 2nd filter running in their main tank at all times. This way if you pick up new fish or need to put a sick one into quarantine, you have an automatically cycled filter to put in the smaller tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

5. Default depends on temperature

0 Not allowed!
    ick lifecycle varies with temperature, warmer the water/shorter the cycle. below 70oF, it can take couple of months according to anedotal calims, at 86oC about 3 days. normal aquarium at temperature 80oF takes about 10 days for the ich lifecycle to complete. when the free swimmer cannot find a host in 48hrs, they die.

i just finish dealing with ick.

i took the fish out and left the shrimp in the tank, then put the fish back after 10 days when i finish treating the fish in another tank. in the meantime, i left the shrimp at 80oF.

i use pickle salt (pickle salt has no additives) 3tbsp / gallon + quick cure for treatment. at 3tbsp/gal of salt, my plants starts to wither, but they came back since the root still good.

good luck!

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Ich

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa006
    by Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences Dept., Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    "i just finish dealing with ick.

i took the fish out and left the shrimp in the tank, then put the fish back after 10 days when i finish treating the fish in another tank. in the meantime, i left the shrimp at 80oF."

So, it sounds like ten days would be enough to clear the main tank? (I did have the temp up around 85 for 4-5 days in the beginning, it's down to 80 now). The coppersafe says to treat for 5-30 days; do you think ten days would be enough for that as well? Temp in the hospital tank is currently 82, I've been bringing it down slowly.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm a little extreme when it comes to things linke this

I would suggest keeping your fish in QT an extra 2 weeks or so just to make sure you got rid of the ick. This will give you main tank a little extra time to make sure there the ick has died off in there as well

Just don't forget to feed the main tank a ammonia each day if you don't have any fish in there.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]