· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default First time with ich; need advice

0 Not allowed!
    (Yes, I know. I should have been using a quarantine tank all along. I got away with it for twelve years and now I know better). I have a 75g community tank with inexpensive sturdy fish; change 1/3 the water every 2-3 weeks.

I introduced five black skirt tetras into the tank from a chain store who I won't name. (I've bought fish from Petco many times, this was a different one - don't know if I just got unlucky or what). I apparently wasn't watching closely enough; within a week everything was infectetd with ich. I tried slowly raising the temp and adding salt but I think it was too far along; my fish were dying off daily.

Eleven days ago - moved the remaing fish to a hospital tank with Coppersafe at the recommended dosage. Did a 50% water change on the 75g tank and have left it at 80, filters and lights going, adding ammonia drops to keep the biofilter alive.

My question is : I know that keeping a tank empty kills off the critters as they need a host; how long do I need to have it empty? And how long do the fish need to be in the coppersafe before I can assume the ich is completely gone? The eight survivors appear healthy but I want to be sure the infection is wiped out.

Advice for the future: do you have to keep a quaratine tank up and running all the time, or can you just set one up with cycled water from the main tank and a chunk of sponge filter that has been in the filter unit?

Many thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    If I remember correctly, 3 or 4 weeks without a host should be good, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I would also suggest doing a gravel vac in your main tank to get rid of any of ick that is hiding there waiting for a host.

A lot of people keep a sponge filter running in there main tank. This results in having a seeded filter ready to go. That way, you can just take the sponge filter and move it into the QT tank when needed. If you use meds or treat a disease in the qt tank, you should replace the sponge and not put it back in your display tank.

I've never used Coppersafe before so I can't help you there
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I read they die within 48 hours of a host. Either way, if you can turn up the heat to 86, the heat method will kill them.

Update: Just read numerous articles and they all say the same thing. One person says a couple weeks and another 48 hours. Obviously no one knows! LOL Throw the heat and salt at that tank then do a large water change before adding the fish back if you want to play it safe.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-27-2012 at 03:02 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fpgill
    Advice for the future: do you have to keep a quaratine tank up and running all the time, or can you just set one up with cycled water from the main tank and a chunk of sponge filter that has been in the filter unit?
    Many thanks.
    It's not the water that cycles, it's the filter - which is why many people keep a 2nd filter running in their main tank at all times. This way if you pick up new fish or need to put a sick one into quarantine, you have an automatically cycled filter to put in the smaller tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default depends on temperature

0 Not allowed!
    ick lifecycle varies with temperature, warmer the water/shorter the cycle. below 70oF, it can take couple of months according to anedotal calims, at 86oC about 3 days. normal aquarium at temperature 80oF takes about 10 days for the ich lifecycle to complete. when the free swimmer cannot find a host in 48hrs, they die.

i just finish dealing with ick.

i took the fish out and left the shrimp in the tank, then put the fish back after 10 days when i finish treating the fish in another tank. in the meantime, i left the shrimp at 80oF.

i use pickle salt (pickle salt has no additives) 3tbsp / gallon + quick cure for treatment. at 3tbsp/gal of salt, my plants starts to wither, but they came back since the root still good.

good luck!

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Ich

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa006
    by Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences Dept., Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    "i just finish dealing with ick.

i took the fish out and left the shrimp in the tank, then put the fish back after 10 days when i finish treating the fish in another tank. in the meantime, i left the shrimp at 80oF."

So, it sounds like ten days would be enough to clear the main tank? (I did have the temp up around 85 for 4-5 days in the beginning, it's down to 80 now). The coppersafe says to treat for 5-30 days; do you think ten days would be enough for that as well? Temp in the hospital tank is currently 82, I've been bringing it down slowly.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm a little extreme when it comes to things linke this

I would suggest keeping your fish in QT an extra 2 weeks or so just to make sure you got rid of the ick. This will give you main tank a little extra time to make sure there the ick has died off in there as well

Just don't forget to feed the main tank a ammonia each day if you don't have any fish in there.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]