· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Established Sand

0 Not allowed!
    I'm a little confused here... everyone says that established live sand is a good thing in a new tank... but I've been advised (not on this site, should have come here first) to use mostly NEW sand in the switch to the 120 and just seed with a few cups of the old sand. The theory is that the old sand might release nitrate when it's displaced, but I don't have a deep sand bed (I have about 2 1/2 inches of sand, maybe less), and haven't I been trying to cultivate little worms and things all this time? If so, what's the point in leaving them behind?

So would using just the old sand in the new tank be a bad thing?

My trates are already pretty high in the smaller tank, but I'm going to be using all new RO/DI saltwater in the new tank... I'm torn here because I don't want to start the new tank off with a spike in trates, but at the same time I want to get the cycle going smoothly.
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats
    "The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake." -Sebastian the crab

0 Not allowed!
    Just like in FW, almost all of the biological filtration in your tank will come from your filter media, which in your case is the live rock. IMO, the sand from a established tank will have a very very small impact on a cycling tank.

Even if you don't have a deep sand bed, you can get a build up of nitrates in your sand. Although the exact impact that could have on your water quality is questionable. You could get a very small spike that you may not notice, or a larger spike. There's many variables that will determine that

Whether you keep the old substrate, use your current substrate, or go without substrate can be a personal choice.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great, thanks for the quick and helpful (as always) reply Cliff!
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats
    "The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake." -Sebastian the crab