· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Black Skirt and Neon Tetras together?

0 Not allowed!
    I am currently setting up a new 75 gallon tank. I've got 5 Black Skirt Tetras that are a couple years old already. I'm not really interested in getting more, because that would mean a longer commitment to them. I think I'm just going to keep them until they die off in a few more years.

I'm considering getting 20-25 Neon Tetras for my new tank. I'm wondering if the Black Skirts would be compatible. They're at least double the size, maybe triple. Plus they are known to be a little nippy, though mine have never shown any nippiness before. However I've never kept them with such small fish before either.

Has anyone kept these two kinds of tetra together before?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In tank that size it will be perfectly fine.

Black skirts are only really nippy with long finned fish in small tanks.

A large school of neons will look great!!
    20gal- Honey gourami's, Endlers, otto's and minnows.
    22gal- 2 Honey gourami's, Bichir senegalus, apisto hongsloi
    33gal- (future home to Bichir senegalus)

0 Not allowed!
    My black skirts were favorites of mine and I never had a problem with nipping. But, I had 24 of them, too. But here we are today, 7 years later and about 7 of them still survive but still not nipping.

Neons are great hiders, tho. They generally remain huddled to the bottom of a tank when other species are in the tank with them. They know, I think, they are at the bottom of the food chain. Personally if you are going to have numerous other fish, I think I would go with rummynose that isn't so shy.

0 Not allowed!
    I have 5 black skirts & 6 neons and they don't bother each other at all - I have a little cave in my tank and they take turns hiding in it!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    My black skirts were favorites of mine and I never had a problem with nipping. But, I had 24 of them, too. But here we are today, 7 years later and about 7 of them still survive but still not nipping.

Neons are great hiders, tho. They generally remain huddled to the bottom of a tank when other species are in the tank with them. They know, I think, they are at the bottom of the food chain. Personally if you are going to have numerous other fish, I think I would go with rummynose that isn't so shy.
    I appreciate the feedback. I haven't kept Neon's before but in this case they'd pretty well dominate the tank. I was hoping they'd be less shy in larger numbers, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

Can you think of a similar schooling fish that is in the same size/color range? I liked the Neon Tetras because the blue/red will contrast the plants. I don't think the Rummy Nose will do the same.

Would Cardinal Tetras be less shy? Flame Tetras? Ember Tetras? I have not kept them before so I am not as aware of their level of shyness. This large school is going to be the centerpiece of the tank so I don't want anything overly shy.

0 Not allowed!
    I've kept Black Skirts as well, and I've found them to be great with other tank mates. A bigger school the better though. Cardinals usually grow a lot bigger than Neons, so I suppose they could possibly be a bit less shy. Never kept Cardinals, so I'm only really guessing. Serpae Tetras are really nice in a big school too. I've had those mixed in with Black Skirts, and my son had some with his Neons, and they were fine.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    I keep Cardinal Tetra's with large Discus and I have zero issues and the Cardinals school all the time and are out in the open. I have had far better luck with Cardinals than I have with Neon's (others haven't had such issues.)

0 Not allowed!
    Larger numbers always work. I'm about to invest in 20 more of them myself.