· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Adding a 55gal and want to try live plants

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

Now that I've finished populating my 10gal and got tank cycling down, I'd like to try my hand at an all natural tank in a 55gal I plan to purchase in the coming weeks.

I'm going camping on a river this weekend, so I'm going to try to pick up some worn down/smooth rocks and look for some drift wood for the tank, but I also want to populate with live plants. I was hoping you could help answer a couple of questions, before I start.

I've been talking to a few people about plants and it's been suggested that if you're going to create a planted tank, it'll only last about a year, before you have to take it down and start anew. I've been told that this is because the plants require the fertilizer substrate and once the nutrients from the substrate are used up, you'd have to add new substrate and start all over. Is this true? Would I have to re-do my entire tank every year, just so I could have a planted aquarium?

I've read that aquatic plants utilize nitrogen, which can be found in ammonium and nitrate, so I would assume the fertilized substrate would aid in the plant growing and feeding the roots, but the added ammonium from fish waste, etc, would continue to add sustenance for the plants. So, technically, wouldn't I be able to keep these plants alive as long as I have other living organisms in the tank with them?

That being said, do you have any suggestions for what kind of substrate to use?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can't attest to this personally, but from my own research planted tanks can be kept for many years without a reboot. The longest I read about in detail was 15 years I believe although I'm sure there are people on this forum who have kept it for longer.

Proper fertilization and CO2 are probably required to sustain a planted tank for years on end. You may also want to research dirted tanks where actual dirt is used as part of the substrate.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadepopcorn
    I can't attest to this personally, but from my own research planted tanks can be kept for many years without a reboot. The longest I read about in detail was 15 years I believe although I'm sure there are people on this forum who have kept it for longer.

Proper fertilization and CO2 are probably required to sustain a planted tank for years on end. You may also want to research dirted tanks where actual dirt is used as part of the substrate.
    Thanks Homemade, I appreciate it. I'll do some more research and see what I can find.

0 Not allowed!
    No way. I wouldn't plant a tank if that was the way it has to be done. Food and fish waste continue to fertilize the substrate.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    No way. I wouldn't plant a tank if that was the way it has to be done. Food and fish waste continue to fertilize the substrate.
    Thanks Lady, that's a relief. The only reason I wouldn't want to start a planted tank, is if I had to take it down every year. If I can have a nicely planted tank that could last for years, I'd much rather go that route. Appreciate it!