· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Lighting for 54 gallon corner tank

0 Not allowed!
    There is a great local deal on a 54 gal corner tank that i would like to consider, but it seems as though it would be a challenge to properly light this tank for heavy plant growth. what size light fixtures fit these things if any, or do i need a hanging light setup? are these tanks frowned upon for heavily planted setups? any info would be great, thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Doubt anyone would frown upon you for any level of planting for a tank, let alone a corner. The corner tanks I've seen here in Michigan include this one:

A Fluval Venezia

and this one:

An Aqueon

The Fluval, an extremely pricey option IMO, comes with T5's I think built right into the flat designed top. On the Aqueon, I think it's a T8 option for the top; but there's no reason you couldn't do a custom Acrylic top and hang a Hagen Glo T5 double fixture light from above it for lighting. Or some other similar lighting. Also, if the tank dimensions allow it, you may even be able to place the Glo or another light right on top of the Acrylic custom top.

0 Not allowed!
    I like the look of the corner tanks and also some of the round tanks but there is always a question about lights for them. People just can't ever seem to find them. There are different ideas people come up with that work but honestly, you'd think if they could sell the tank, they could have lights just for them, as well. Someone here will have an idea but I sure don't.

I would look for a low light set up tho. If you wanted a high light set up, there is no where to put the CO2 tank where it can be hid.

You might be able to find some type of clamp on lights that would work ?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What if you put normal T5 or T8 fixtures on both sides of the tank like a 'V'? And then add an extra one (i prefer led on the middle) on the bow front if wanting another light.

Just throwing out some ideas.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaldave
    What if you put normal T5 or T8 fixtures on both sides of the tank like a 'V'? And then add an extra one (i prefer led on the middle) on the bow front if wanting another light.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Now that would be interesting. Like maybe move it slightly away from both walls, and afix them to the corners in the extra space? Or even midway back? Only thing to solve that way, is one of heat build ups.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some great ideas guys thank you. And hobbs i agree with you that if they sell the tanks they should include some options for planted aquaria. it seems do-able... But i wonder if the work and searching involved is worth the good deal. there are some great deals on traditional tanks as well that would be much easier to light, however the photos ive seen of these 54 gal corner setups are down right sexy. i dont think my wife would let me hang a fixture, so a set up where i arrange 2 or more on top of the tank would seem the way to go. gonna do some more research, and find out what some people use for the same set up. thanx guys, ill check back with any ideas.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    If you have or can get a glass cover for the aquarium, the lighting solution is trivial.

Buy any super cheap light hood (but it MUST have vent slots) that uses bulbs and the unit will properly fit on top of the tank. Buy plant grade CFL's of the correct wattage and put them in the bulb holders - done. You have a great plant light!