· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: dither fish?

Default dither fish?

0 Not allowed!
    can dither be fish be used for mbunas? ive heard of giant danios and synodontis catfish. but im pretty sure a few synos would be wayyyyyy too much for my 55. would giant danios be effective or would they just die after a month?
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Mbunas aren't exactly shy, I can't see why they'd need dithers. I think people just like to stock other fish for variety and bottom clean up. So I doubt the "effectiveness" of any dithers.

Mbunas will kill anything that can't hide or swim fast enough.

My peacocks are the least aggressive of Africans, and I am not able to keep any plecs or catfish with them.

0 Not allowed!
    so theres no point in having a dither fish? and at what size should i take my pleco out? my tanks 55 gallons and hes 4.5 inches. the mbunas are still pretty small too.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly
    can dither be fish be used for mbunas? ive heard of giant danios and synodontis catfish. but im pretty sure a few synos would be wayyyyyy too much for my 55. would giant danios be effective or would they just die after a month?
    Mbuna will be shy if there are not a lot of fish in the tank. You can slightly over stock and that will help if you have enough filtrations. Another way to help is to have a little group of haps or Peacocks as dither fish. Some folk don't like mixing them but I do and there a great help as dither fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Upside down catfish (Synodontis nigriventris) are great to have in a mbuna tank. I have two of them in with mine, and I have had no trouble. Quite often they feed side by side. I'm thinking of adding three more actually! I would of added more a long time ago, if I could of got more. They actually school quite nicely, if you have a group of them.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Synodontis Multipunctatus are great with mbuna. Their spiny dorsals are enough deterrent to keep mbuna away. I've had 1/4" Multie fry swim under their noses and they ignored them. If you're really lucky like me, they may even use your mbuna as hosts if they spawn. Get at least a group of 5 to keep them happy and active!
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

0 Not allowed!
    hmmm. i do have 1 yellow peacock in with them now, i could either bump that up to a group of 4 or exclude him and throw in a few jaguar cats or upside down cats. i have jaguar cats in my 75 so ill probably lean toward the upside down cats. thank you guys:)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you go with upside down Synos, make sure you get a more than 4. They will be a lot healthier and more active the larger the group. Like most loaches, they tend to rest together tightly, in a cave or hide out. Every so often, one will be injured, sometimes too late for me to QT.

As for dither fish, not generally a good idea with cichlids unless you have a very large tank with lots of escape room. The best dither is more africans