· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Snails Reproducing

0 Not allowed!
    I unfortunately received some snails on a plant I bought. The biggest ine the I have seen in my tank is about 2mm, I was wondering how big or old they have to be to reproduce.

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like Pond Snails, but could be Rams Horn or Malaysian Trumpets too. You didn't give much in details about them. If Pond, not very big (2-3mm is probably largest you'll see) and can breed easy enough. If Rams Horn, Pea sized to Double that for adults I've seen; also breed easy enough. If MTS, seen them at almost 2" in length before; also breed real easy.

I cannot say as to maturity, but if your seeing them, they're likely mature. You'll see clear globulous looking egg patches on plants/glass/anywhere in your tank. If you want to eliminate them, I have a link in my signature line about Pest Snail Eradication; which can go into major detail about the best way in your situation to do so.

They won't cause any harm to your tank, just are unsightly and sometimes ugly and annoying to deal with. Their is a wide spectrum of attitudes on them in this forum and other places. I personally am of sound mind, that I hate MTS; while some actually love them.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have rams horn snails and I kill them on sight. I squeeze them against the glass or plant leaf and leave the remains in there to either become food for my Bolivians or food for the plants after they break down. As gross as it sounds, it's better to manually deal with the problem in a low-tech way early on before it becomes a real problem later on that requires a more invasive solution. Anytime you see a pest snail you don't kill that is from a hermaphroditic species like pond snails or rams horn snails, you are giving it consent to reproduce.

Also, what kind of fish do you have? Clown loaches will gorge themselves on pest snails, and Bolivian rams seem to like them too.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if they are pond snails, be careful. you can get overrun if you are overfeeding and such. if they start reproducing a lot, invest in some assassins and try to get them in check before you have an outbreak.
    Link to my Journal: patinthehat's 50g journey
    50g-11 neon tetras, 749 billion pond snails, 3 Bristlenose Plecos, Red Cherry Shrimp, and assassin snails on the way!

0 Not allowed!
    Reproducing snails? It's all they do.

Please do not consider clown loaches unless you have a very large tank. Just get some assassin snails. They reproduce very, very slowly and will kill the others if you get over run with them.

(Thread moved)