· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Question Pregnant or not??

0 Not allowed!
    My female guppies keep showing signs of being pregnant (black gravid spot near the anal fin and large stomachs) but.... these symptons seem to fade each morning I keep an eye on my faux plant but cant see any fry (I even move some of the features but still nothing) how would I tell that these guppies are truely pregnant. I have 12 guppies 6 male and 6 female I know that it is highly unlikely for them not to be mating.. but there apears to be a lack of fry anywhere and it always seems to be a ghost pregnacy ... please !!!!!!

Would it be prudent to get a breeder????

many thanks in advance :)

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Well when fish eat, their bellies swell, so if you feed every night they will look pregnant. Being guppies I would put money on it that they are pregnant.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    I know about the enlarged stomachs after feeding but the gravid spot is troubling me....

I have a dark blue female (beautifull fish black spots on her Caudal fin) she seemed to have quite a large gravid spot but the evening after i checked in the morning it had disappeared. How would you know deffinetly that they wouldbe pregnant. I know that the gravid spot is almost a certain indiction to a female guppy being pregnant but there are such things as ghost pregnancy's.....

Would I be better of by putting what i think are pregnant guppies in a breeding box or leave them and hope for the best??? I would love to breed them but i know this is difficult without much fauna..... I have natural coloured gravel as well but alot of feature decoration (most of which have plenty of hiding room) some which have been taken over by either my plecos (sailfin x 2) or red tipped sharks.....

0 Not allowed!
    would my sharks eat the fry?????

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    to answer about the sharks - definitely.

If you want to keep the babies then yes, i suggest a breeder trap. To keep the fish less stressed, i would put only that fattest and darkest gravid spot female in the trap, so that that way shes only in there for a short time.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything