· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

Question How long can I keep this severum for?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 48g tank that I keep at a relatives house, it was stocked fine and then tragedy struck when my blue acara died (note; died as it did not eat when I introduced it into tank, tank is mature and cycled and running smoothly) I had not planned to replace this fish for quite some time.

Unknown to me my relative was out shopping today, felt sorry for me as I had lost my beautiful fish, so bought oe to replace it with, in the form of a gold severum. This fish is stunning I must admit and is only1.5 inches big but after some googling I have found that they require a minimum of a 55g?

So here is my questions;

-How big can I let the fish get before rehoming it?
    -How quickly will it grow?
    -was the 55g for a pair, or a single fish?
    -Is a 48g totally out the question for an adult gold severum?

My tank is well filtered and religiously maintained, other tank mates are tetras, 3 mollies, 2 plecos and a Dwarf african giraffe catfish. Tank is planted and lots of caves and secluded areas.

I kinda need to hold onto this fish for a while as the relative thought she was doing a great thing by buying it for me. Even up until xmas would be good.

Thanks guys, ScottishFish
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i cant imagine a 7g difference would make or break it as long as you maintain it religously as you said and there isint so many plants/caves that theres enough swimming room.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    While minimum tank sizes are an absoult lower limit and should not be ignored that has a lot to do with filtering and upkeep; so I am going with Joonkun.

0 Not allowed!
    I was told by some that I could keep 2 severum in a 55 gallon. They are wonderful fish and I don't see why one wouldn't work in your tank for some time.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would have to agree with Lady Hobbs,you can keep two severums in a 55gallon.It all depends on how much,and what type of food they are fed,as to how fast they grow.The two adults I have do not move gravel and are generally good tankmates all around.They are four years old and practically full size.Bought them as juvies,but moved the fish from a 55 gallon to a 125gallon.That dwarf african giraffe catfish will eat your tetras and will become a greedy,pugnacious fish.(By the way,I am a big fan of the dwarf giraffe)

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the input everyone! I am glad that I can keep this fish as it is really gorgeous, lovely cream face markings (does this mean its male).

And to answer skullduggery, I know the dwarf giraffe will get big and hungry, it is around 1.5 inches long the now, so I can keep it for a while, I will see what happens with it, if I start losing tetras I would rather rehome them than this catfish, I love it !!

Oh this is my 1500th post!! Wooo go me

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Here is my cute little fish in question

0 Not allowed!
    Cute little fella. Lab_rat has a gold sev that is a big one. I don't remember how old she said he was. But who knows 3-4 years from now what you might have? You might have a 300 gallon the rate you're going.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Why thanks LH.

I have my sights on a big tank in the future 200+ or maybe 2x 125 or something like that, who knows, gota move out from mum and dad first

0 Not allowed!
    My gold sev's size is about the size of a salad plate (8" or so). He's been that size since I've had him, and the person I got him from had him for several years. I have no idea how old he is. My young rotkeil has taken a while to grow and grows in spurts. The green sev I had before my move grew pretty rapidly.

What are the dimensions of the tank?
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.