· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Random Guppy Death?

0 Not allowed!
    Little confused here-unless it is just a bad fish.
    All my fish are doing well-swimming actively and being happy.
    6 guppies were added about 12 days ago.
    I get home from work today and one is just at the bottom-dead.
    His body was just like frozen up-no signs of bacteria/parasites/disease/injury.

Is this expected from guppies? did I just get unlucky with this guy?
    Water Parameters:
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5ppm

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly I think you need to expect something like this to happen with any kind of fish, especially ones that are bought, transported and kept in bulk amounts. Quite often you will see guppies, swordtails, mollies, neons especially, all kept in huge amounts at some fish stores. Quite often they will be transported in one or two large quantities, and it's just not healthy for them. Depending on how long they have travelled to get to the fish store can determine what condition you buy them in. They will have been exposed to high amounts of ammonia, because they are stuck in a plastic bag, with nothing in it to get rid of the ammonia. And then, more times than not, those 40 or 50 fish are held in a 20g tank, or a tank that is way to small for them. Your water perameters appear to be fine, and the rest of your fishes are ok, so the only thing I can think of - apart from what I have already mentioned - is possibly bullying.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sometimes fish die and we arent sure why. its too hard to tell how they were kept and handled, how much they were moved or how old they are whn you buy them.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by escamosa
    Honestly I think you need to expect something like this to happen with any kind of fish, especially ones that are bought, transported and kept in bulk amounts. Quite often you will see guppies, swordtails, mollies, neons especially, all kept in huge amounts at some fish stores. Quite often they will be transported in one or two large quantities, and it's just not healthy for them. Depending on how long they have travelled to get to the fish store can determine what condition you buy them in. They will have been exposed to high amounts of ammonia, because they are stuck in a plastic bag, with nothing in it to get rid of the ammonia. And then, more times than not, those 40 or 50 fish are held in a 20g tank, or a tank that is way to small for them. Your water perameters appear to be fine, and the rest of your fishes are ok, so the only thing I can think of - apart from what I have already mentioned - is possibly bullying.

Good Point-I don't want to know how they are transported, it would probably be terrible to really see how they are treated prior to purchasing the fish.

Unless some crazy things happen while i'm at work-I dont think the bullying could be a cause-every once in a while I see a tetra chase a guppy for a quick second but then they break off. the other fish just keep to themselves.

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes the aggression will happen at night, when they're all bedding down. They'll be all looking for a nice resting spot, and then chasing and fights start because a couple of them want the same spot.

What foods are you feeding them?
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ah that could be a possibility. good thoughts! Never thought of that happening.
    But the foods...I mix it up between new life spectrum pellets and tropical flakes.

0 Not allowed!
    Add some fruit and vegies to thier diet too, mizzou. They'll love it, and they'll stay a lot healthier for a longer time. Some softened, squished up, shelled peas are good for them. Also some softened zuchini - you can leave the skin on. And a slice of apple or pear is good too. Make sure you remove all the uneaten fruit and vegies, after a day of them having a pick at it - it can make your water a little cloudy.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another thought is to always put new fish in a quarantine tank. Keep them in there for about three to four weeks. Any problem will show up in this timeframe if they have any disease to start with. This way you eliminate contaminating your entire tank of established. I didn't used to use one until a new batch of four guppies brought velvet to my tank. Killed off all but two of my 70 or so guppies.