· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default urgent! Goldfish upside down for a couple of weeks now

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    We have had this goldfish for 7 or 8 years now. Recently, it started having floating issues. We had that before and we just fed him peas and usually it works over night. This time it doesn't work at all. It has been floating upside down for a week or two now. We've been feeding him peas all along and didn't work. We also see red spots on his belly on the areas which now are constantly exposed in the air. We treated with antibiotics. The spots would be gone for a day and come back the moment we put back the filter and change water. Anyone got any idea on how to treat this fish? Please help!!

qqcolorline

0 Not allowed!
    He has swim bladder. Not likely a cure for it. It can be from a ruptured bladder or an internal bacterial problem. His chances are not good at all especially for so long now. Sorry.

You mentioned "putting the filter back". The filter needs to run 24/7.

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately it sounds like the fish should be euthanized. Suffering like that is not fair to anyone or anything.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    He has swim bladder. Not likely a cure for it. It can be from a ruptured bladder or an internal bacterial problem. His chances are not good at all especially for so long now. Sorry.

You mentioned "putting the filter back". The filter needs to run 24/7.
    We only stopped the filter when we administered the medicine...

Do you know whether there are fish doctors here in the US? Thanks again for your help!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Probably are doctors, but as suggested above you are probably better to put the poor thing out of its misery.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    I have heard a vet can put a needle into the bladder and expel the air but that it only a short term solution and would need to be continued. I would fast him making sure he is getting nothing to eat at all right now except for mashed up peas. But even that is more for just constipation and not swim bladder.

I also was thinking of putting him in Epsom Salts for 15 minute dips. Epsom Salt is supposed to help them "go" but once again, I don't see this as working. If this is bacterial, ruptured or deformed swim bladder, then really nothing can be done.

In his current state, I don't imagine he's eating anything so the peas may just be a waste of time, as well. I hope something will work for you but I have nothing to say that can help. Not knowing the cause really makes the solution even harder.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by qqcolorline
    We only stopped the filter when we administered the medicine...

Do you know whether there are fish doctors here in the US? Thanks again for your help!
    even with medicines you need to keep your filter on, just remove any carbon or charcoal ect that might remove the medicine. all you did was remove the beneficial bacteria that helps keep your water paramaters in check. additionally with it being shut off im sure you lost some of the bacteria as well.

sounds like hes too far gone, usually something like this, for so long isint cureable, maybe if you took earlier action. MAYBE, so dont really blame yourself, sometimes they get things we just cant fix. vets are fairly expensive, you would have to check around your area and call around to see if any of them specializes in fish, most however, do not.