· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Tank Set-up

Default Tank Set-up

0 Not allowed!
    I used to keep four tanks.....a 55 gallon tropical, a 29 gallon saltwater, and two ten gallon freshwater tanks......one was usually used as a quarantine and the other as a breeder tank.

I live on the Gulf Coast of Tx......and sometimes travel to the Destin/Freeport area of Florida.

I lost all of my fish during hurricane Ike in 2008......the house I was living in was badly damaged and I was without power for 26 days........

I was able to salvage all of my tanks and most of my supplies.......I am now a bit more economically stable and was wanting to start back using my 29 gallon as a tropical tank.....and maybe adding my other tanks later. (my 55 gallon just does not fit in my current bedroom). I wanted to start there and make my 55 gallon be in the living room. And I did not want to have to buy the twin cascade filters it required. And I had an extra 29 gallon gravel filter and a working cascade for that tank.

My question is.....I have set up the 29 gallon tank with a cascade and gravel filter........I had some plain white gravel (still in the bag) that is probably 6 or so years old and did not wash it when setting up the tank (I know I screwed that up)........the water became cloudy within a day or two (after originally being crystal clear)......I have since drained and refilled the tank 3 times.....and am still having this issue. Of course I have not added any fish yet.

Where have I messed up? Was it not washing the gravel.....was it attempting to make a Tropical tank from an old Salt water one........??

I am at a loss.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Joel
    Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; 04-21-2012 at 09:35 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Joel,
    It really was not washing the gravel, and those continued drain and refills are exaggerating the problem, as you are continually stirring the gravel causing the cloudiness to continue.

Drain the tank completely, take out that gravel, and rinse the dickens out of it in a bucket until the water runs perfectly clear as you stir the gravel. Problem solved.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    Joel,
    It really was not washing the gravel, and those continued drain and refills are exaggerating the problem, as you are continually stirring the gravel causing the cloudiness to continue.

Drain the tank completely, take out that gravel, and rinse the dickens out of it in a bucket until the water runs perfectly clear as you stir the gravel. Problem solved.

Dave
    Crap......that was not the answer I wanted.......it is probably what I will have to do......well not probably....but will have to......I am fixin' to head onto a trip into the NW......and was not going to add any fish to the tank unless I could get a daughter to take care or it.......but will probably take Dave's advice and not create the new tank until I get back.

25lbs. of gravel to be rewashed.........

Thanks for the tip.

Joel.
    Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; 04-22-2012 at 12:55 AM.