· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Is this substrate suitable for goldfish?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I have a 24" cube tank, which until recently housed some Malawi cichlids, which have now moved to bigger premises. I am thinking of putting some goldfish in the tank, and wondered if the substrate I have is suitable.

As cichlids like hard water, and we live in a very soft water area (NWEngland), I used crushed coral in the tank, and added Epsom salt and bicarbonate of soda to the water for the cichlids. As I understand it, goldfish also like hard water, so I'm wondering if the crushed coral would be good for them, or if I should take it out and use normal gravel instead. Also, would the Epsom salts and bicarbonate be a good idea or not?

Anyone any comments? Thanks in advance.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Forgot to add, I was told I could put four goldfish in this size tank. Does that sound right?

Thanks

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    no it doesnt sound right. it depends on the species of goldfish, some goldfish can get to well over 1 foot in length.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    is this a 60 gallon tank, 24"x24"x24"? 4 fancy goldfish would work in there, provided you provide excellent filtration and keep up with water changes. I would not recommend any common goldfish, as Joonkun says they get large and they're active swimmers as well.

Regarding the substrate, how big is it? You want either substrate that is too big to swallow (large gravel) or small enough that if they do swallow it it'll pass through them (like sand). Other than that, goldfish can thrive in a wide variety of water parameters so I don't think you need to be making a special effort to be providing them with hard water like you did for your cichlids.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i wouldnt put 4 goldish in that tank no matter what, maybe 3, they are just too high of a bioload for my liking. sure over filtration is key here, but even then they are just too dirty for my liking. additionally goldfish love to pick at the substrate, haveing large pebble substrate imo is best as they will suck and spit out the rocks, most likely looking for algae to eat. it does depend on the gold fish though, some species are smaller but as isaid some are quite big, it would help to know what kind of fish you are looking at in particular.
    Last edited by Joonkun; 04-20-2012 at 02:02 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. The tank has a large external filter, and I have plumbing that allows frequent water changes with ease, so those aren't problems.

I am bothered about the substrate though. It's crushed coral, so the pieces are anything from a couple of millimetres upwards. I didn't known goldfish were prone to choking on small stones, and it sounds like this might be an issue.

As for type of fish, I was looking at the plain common goldfish, which I prefer to the fancy ones. Not sure it's such a good idea from what you've said.

Thanks again. I need to think this one through some more.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The goldies with be fine on crushed coral.

Comets are not great in any sized tank, they belong in ponds due to the sizes they reach.

4 fancy goldies would be no problem in a 60gal tank, i have 2 in a 30 something gallon.
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens