· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Blind Goldfish?

1. Question Blind Goldfish?

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry its long, but i proofread twice and its all important information for you to help me with this problem im pretty sure. I think my fish is blind. Here is why, tell me what you think:

I noticed about 2 months ago maybe that Petri, my comet goldfish, had extremely cloudy eyes. Kind of like you see on a cat or something that has cataracts. Can a goldfish have cataracts? Hes always had a small amount of clouding in the eyes that ive seen in the 3 1/2 years ive had him, but it got progressively bad lately. I noticed especially this week that he was very unhappy and confused when i removed all of the gravel and ornaments from the tank he was in. He kept stopping in random spots and pulling up, which i later realized is where the ornaments used to be. Then he'd realize they werent there and start to get scared and hide in a corner, as if he was expecting them to pop out of nowhere.

Today i moved Petri into his new 75gal home, bak to his beloved gravel i took from him before. It concerned me a little that he was much easier to catch than 2 years ago when i moved here. He struggled like a healthy fish, but he had run right into the net when i put it in the tank in front of him. When i released him in new tank he drifted aloof like the big guy always does, until he ran headfirst into an ornament. Then he turned around and went a little further before running headfirst into another, and proceeding to think he was stuck and start panicking! Then he hid in a big open area behind my ship and sat there for the whole day, only to move when he found out he was in somebody else's spot. Even now i see him blundering about like a drunk person, confused looking and bumping into everything.

Does he sound blind to you? I never thought it was possible, but that's my only guess. No other symptoms except above mentioned confusion. Water parameters are great, being a brand new tank. Filters are fully cycled. No spots, no fungus, normal gill and body colors and shape. Has anybody ever had a blind fish or have any suggestions on how to make life easy for the remainder of his hopefully long and full life?
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

2. Unhappy

0 Not allowed!
    I can't give you any advice, but poor Petri
    "Can ye fathom the ocean, dark and deep, where the mighty waves and the grandeur sweep?" - Fanny Crosby

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so he sounds blind to you too though? i feel so bad for him. Wonder what made him blind...
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekfishlover2011
    so he sounds blind to you too though? i feel so bad for him. Wonder what made him blind...

Yeah, he does I don't know very much about goldfish, but I was reading around online, and according to this site (http://www.thepetsforums.com/forums/...sh-Going-Blind) "Goldfish don't have eyelids so if the they dig around in gravel, they can scratch their eyes. Unless the water is very clean, an infection can follow that leaves scars."

This site also has some information, although I cannot vouche for its legitability: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_Goldfish_be_blind
    "Can ye fathom the ocean, dark and deep, where the mighty waves and the grandeur sweep?" - Fanny Crosby

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    are his eyes cloudy right now?
    maybe he is blind, im not sure if goldfish can get cataracts but im pretty sure ive heard of other fish species that can so its possible.
    if his eyes are cloudy currently maybe its just interefering with his current vision?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    that quote voldevader said probably is it. Its probably more like scars, except they take up his whole eyes so that he cant see well thru them. I used to not be a good fishkeeper at all, and he has always dug around in the gravel. So it is my fault hes blind. I was raised by a "filters are for cleaning tanks, you dont have to do anything" family, so he started off bad.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything