· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Nitrites and Nitrates sky high

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and have been reading all the great advice about a fishless cycle. I started a 10 gallon on a fishless cycle about 3 weeks ago. I have 2 Top Fin 10 filters which I've added some ceramic rings to as well as the filter is came with. I have an established aquarium and used some of the filter media from it to seed the tank. I started with dosing once a day to get the ammonia reading to 2 ppm and it took less than a week for the nitrite reading to rise so I cut back my ammonia dose to 1 ppm once a day and continued to do that for about a week. The ammonia is back to zero every day now and the nitrites and nitrates are as high as they can read on the API test chart. That has been going on for about 10 days or more now so I've cut the ammonia back to .5 ppm every day. Should I dose may every other day to get the readings to finally fall on the nitrites? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Keep dosing the ammonia at 1 ppm. The nitrates are not important for now. The nitrites should fall. The issue may be your pH. If too acidic (below 6.5), the growth of nitriting bacteria can slow. Your cycle is going very well and most people take at least six wweeks to finish so keep doing what you have been. The nitrite levels will fall.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for you reply I just need to be patient. The water's ph is 7.4 don't know the hardness.

0 Not allowed!
    I would do a large water change, redose the ammonia to .5 - 1. (max) myself. You only have so much room for all those nitrites in your filter media. Sometimes it takes a little "bump" to get it going again.

Over dosing with ammonia is very easy to do in those small tanks and nitrites and nitrates that high indictate to me it has been overdosed.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-21-2012 at 04:41 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Lady Hobbs. I kind of felt that with the nitrates so high the bacteria colony that breaks down nitrites was alive and well and was expecting a nitrite drop. I will do a water change today and keep the ammonia level down to .5 ppm. Would 50% be adequate?

0 Not allowed!
    Normally I would have said to wait it out a bit longer. But with your readings sky high and off the scale on the testers, then I would do the water change and a large one. Dosing as you have been of .5 is fine. You have your bacteria and now you are only having to feed it to keep it alive. You will be only having a few fish in that 10 gallon, as well.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes it's for a poor betta waiting in his one gallon for his new home. I've been doing a 100% water change every third day for him with a dechlorinator of course and watching the water temperature to make sure it is the same. He looks great a is busy with a bubble nest he has to start over and over (poor thing). I might add a couple of snails after the tank finishes cycling.

0 Not allowed!
    One little fish going in that tank you probably could have even started your cycle with only 1 and then dropped to .50 as soon as you saw those nitrites. You only need to grow enough bacteria for what you will be stocking.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I've done a 60% water change. I'll check the water parameters later and see where I stand. Thank you for you help.

0 Not allowed!
    You're welcome. With those parmeters as high as you say, it may take another later on today or tomorrow. Good luck.