· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Toying with the idea of an upgrade...

0 Not allowed!
    So our 65g tank that we have turned SW sits next to a glass dining set that we NEVER use... its basically just a collection space for crap, and it blocks the beauty of the tank. Thus I plan to sell online and possibly get a bigger tank and stand (one that is reef ready this time) and do an upgrade, and just have that whole space be tank. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 125-180 gal.

If I made this investment, which of course I will try to do for a reasonable price by watching craigs list for tanks, I'd really like to keep a triggerfish, preferably a clown trigger, but I realize that would require the entire tank to be restocked and the idea of delicate corals would be out the window. So I'm looking for some ideas from people here about stocking a large tank as I feel totally overwhelmed just considering stock for such a large space. Like for example, if I could keep a clown trigger in a 125g tank, is that supposed to be the only fish? Or could I keep other (aggressive) fish as well?

Thanks all
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats
    "The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake." -Sebastian the crab

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Too late to edit last post so adding this on as a response:

Also, let's say I get a 120g aquarium (a good example because I have my eye on a reef ready one with stand and skimmer on Craigslist that they would deliver!), and I add a large sump, perhaps 40g (or whatever I can fit under the new stand). How does this effect my choices of fish? Like I know certain limitations on tank size are there because the fish need a lot of swimming space, while some are messy eaters and would be ok with 120g as long as it was effectively 160g water dilution? Which would be the case for triggerfish, or for angelfish (not the really big angels, I mean some of the smaller ones).

Just as a reminder this would be for fish I could stock in addition to the 2 ocellaris clowns I have and valentini puffer, which I would like to keep. The 2 damsels and the dottyback should be rehomed anyway so let's say tankmates for 2 clowns and a valentini puffer.
    Last edited by cat_fish_lady; 04-17-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats

0 Not allowed!
    Is the 120 your thinking about getting the standard 4' X 2' X 2' tank, or the 6 foot tank?

A bluethrouat trigger might work in the 6' long tank, but I am not 100% sure about that. They get to be between 6" to 8" long
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A clown trigger is easily a top 5 coolest fish on my list! I would love to have one but the prospect of a fish that can be over 1 1/2 feet long means it is not happening for me unless I go to a 500g tank or bigger. They are known to be very aggressive and will rearrange even the most secure LR walls you make. I would either think about a much bigger tank or a much smaller trigger. You could keep a small one in a 120g but you could probably put a baby great white shark in there too! The point is, big fish means big tank, and it sounds like you won't have the tank for it. A humuhumu trigger is not as nice looking but would give you the trigger fix you are looking for. Pygmy angels like a coral beauty or lemon peel would be fine in your 120g.
    100g Reef

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    A bluethrouat trigger might work in the 6' long tank, but I am not 100% sure about that. They get to be between 6" to 8" long
    Would be okay in a 120g long but lacks the wow factor of some other triggers.
    100g Reef

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Pink Tail Trigger is pretty safe.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rageybug
    Would be okay in a 120g long but lacks the wow factor of some other triggers.

Very true

I guess I just like the more reef safe fish
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks all... it is unfortunately not a 6' long tank but 48" x 24" x 24", a foot deeper than the one I have now. I was planning on not adding any additional live rock or sand and basically just having that 6" of clearance width-length on both sides of the rock so that larger fish would have space to swim the 4' length.

I do like the humu triggers a lot, so I may go with one of those. Clown triggers have always been a favorite of mine too and I'd like to get a tank that can accommodate one, but I'm thinking this deal is too good for me to pass up... it's a 120 g reef ready tank with really nice wood stand AND sump and pump for it that would come DELIVERED for $350. I would literally not need to add anything additional from my existing tank in terms of equipment except maybe an additional heater and powerhead as my lighting will still cover the 48" length (though eventually if I had a lot of corals I might have to upgrade), I have 2 protein skimmers as I got one in a trade, and I want a more minimalist look in terms of live rock and sand anyway.