· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Male Sword behaviour

0 Not allowed!
    I've noticed lately that my male swordtail has been following my female swordtail quite a bit. She will pull a fast one on him and turn around and swim the other way but he stops on a dime and starts to swim after her backwards trying to poke her with his sword it seems.

I was wondering what this might be, just him being playful or maybe its a sign of a pair/breeding? She actually looks a little big now so I'm wondering if she could possibly be in the early stage of pregnancy.

Any ideas?
    38 Gallon Tank
    3 Platys (1M+2F)
    14 Harlequin Rasbora
    2 Golden Algae Eaters
    3 Kribensis

0 Not allowed!
    That's a good sign of him trying to impress the female. I would say that you've got yourself a pair of Swordtails!

If the female is starting to look a little rounder, she may be pregnant. If you look very closely at the area of where her body meets the beginning of her tail, you might find that you will see a dark patch. It could be a dark redish colour or black, depending on the colour of the fish and how much light there is. This is called a gravid spot - the area where the babies are forming.

The gravid spot.

It usually takes around 28 days before you have heaps of little Swordtails swimming around in the tank. You will know when it's nearly time, because the mother will look like she is going to pop! They get really round. At this stage, if you would like to keep the babies, you can buy yourself a fry trap for the mother to have her babies in.

A fry trap.

The idea of these, is to put the mother in the top part of the trap, and when she has the babies, they slip down into the lower area, where they're safe from mum and the other fishes that are in the tank. Then you will need to think about setting up a fry tank to grow them in.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply,
    There is no prominent black or red spot, she is an orange swordtail so it may be hard to see. I will try to get a picture of her but my blackberry camera isnt the greatest :P
    38 Gallon Tank
    3 Platys (1M+2F)
    14 Harlequin Rasbora
    2 Golden Algae Eaters
    3 Kribensis

0 Not allowed!
    You're welcome! I've noticed that the orange swordtails will have more of a black looking gravid spot, rather than the redish coloured one. It'll take a bit of time for the gravid spot to be really visible, if she's only just fallen pregnant.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark