· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Should I break up the flakes?

0 Not allowed!
    I've recently gotten annoyed by all the organic matter dissolved in my tank and realized that breaking up fish flakes might be wasteful. I usually crush the flakes when I feed the fish because their mouths are so small.

This sounds like a stupid question, but am I wasting tiny bits of food? Should I just toss the flakes in whole?

Btw I've got five tiny tetras, two gouramis, a big neon tetra, and assorted platys. The only bottomfeeder I have is a tiny new albino pleco (I accidentally poisoned the snails with jungle clear water).

0 Not allowed!
    You could try just putting the flakes in to see if the fish would have trouble eating them like that.

Could you possibly be over feeding your fish if you have left over food in the tank ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't see much visible left over, but when I breakup the flakes there's got to be a lot of finely powdered waste, rite?

0 Not allowed!
    You could also try micro pellets

There would be a lot less wasted food, if any at all. It would get rid of you powdered waste problem and most brands of micro pellets are suitable for small tetras and platys
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    We feed almost all the small fish at the shop 1mm New Life Spectrum pellets. Even small fish like neon tetras take them with ease. Pellets are cleaner and fill them up better.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed with the pellet opinion. I feed all of my tanks pellets of varying sizes. I use the grow formula from New Life Spectrum with particularly good results for small fish.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    If you have a high flow in your tank, and you notice the food "blowing around" a lot, all over the surface and getting tossed about everywhere before the fish can get it, try using a feeding ring. Its a plastic ring on a suction cup and the ring "floats" on the surface in a fixed area. This keeps food from getting all over the tank, and most fish train to go right there when you feed them. Some food will fall, but hardly as much and it makes it even easier to figure out just how much the fish are eating.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    I break my flakes up for my neons. Only made sense to me that a tiny fish would eat a tiny flake easier than one too large for him. Isn't that what we do when we have fry to feed?

0 Not allowed!
    My fish prefer larger flakes - even my neons grab at large pieces. Although if I put them in a little crushed, I put a tiny amounts in at the beginning of feeding when they are the most hungry - that way everything is eaten.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll use pellets when I get my own tank. I'm forced to use goldfish flakes because my bipolar fiance gets mad when I do anything with ours. Apparently she thinks cuttlebones are harmful so my snails don't get any :(

I've been just dumping whole flakes in the last few days and they seem to like it biting the bigger stuff. I would rather have a whole sammich to chew on rather than cut up pieces, maybe they feel the same way.
    All my fish keep dying, but hers are fine.