· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Electric Blue Rams-ramming heads

0 Not allowed!
    Is it normal for 2 rams to just swim around, then every once in a while-they'll come across one another-look at each other-then just but heads? they'll do it once or twice then either swim together/away like nothing happened?
    I don't see any damage/injuries from this on either fish...but this is the first time they've done it, so it is just odd to me.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Perfectly normal.

It is the reason they are named "rams".

0 Not allowed!
    Could possibly have a pair as well. A lot of rams, of all different species, do lots of this kind of interaction. Lip locking, rubbing sides, following eachother around. It could be another one of those things that they do to show thier affection!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lip-locking and rubbing sides is aggression ... but ok

0 Not allowed!
    Well, actually, no it's not. They are two very common signs of Rams beginning to pair up, or beginning to spawn. Established pairs will do this on and off for the whole term of the pairing. I should add though, that if it's male to male, then yes, it's most probably a test of dominance. Whoever breaks the lock first, is the weaker of the two, so to speak.
    Last edited by escamosa; 04-17-2012 at 07:58 AM.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The employee at the LFS where I got them, was fairly certain he grabbed 1m/1f to better the chances of decreased aggression.

They just recently started to act this way, the prior month they have been in the tank they were best buds, so it was just something that was out of the norm.
    I hope they are pairing up and this is their "ramming" way of showing affection-however, I don't want spawning to happen/deal with that right now.
    I feel my tetras are getting frisky too-as they are sometimes getting in groups of 2/3 and like huge each other while race around the tank/plants/decor.

Thanks for the info! Lets hope it is their love, not anger. haha