· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default What can I put in my 10 gal with my chinese algae eater?

0 Not allowed!
    I moved my chinese algae eater out of my 55gal last week and into a 10 gal by himself. Was wondering if there is anything I can safely put in there with him. Any ideas?
    55Gal, 4 Clown Loaches, 1 Black Ghost Knife, 1 Common Pleco (12"), 1 Chinese Algae eater, 2 Black Skirt Tetra, 3 White Skirt Tetra, 3 Glowfish
    600Gal Koi pond, 3 Koi, 4 Pool comets
    24,000 Gal Pond, no stock yet.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    chinese algae eaters get big and mean. A 10 gallon tank is not suitable for one, and if you add anything else the CAE will likely badger it to death. Why did you move the CAE out of the 55g? Was it picking on the fish in there?
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

No Message - korith another pleco for your AC Tank - Northernguy Good job with your filter - Cliff No! You're banned for sending me a gift.. : ) - Little Embers Any more pleco's and your going to need a bigger tank. - gadget228 
    Now you must get a bigger tank : ) - Little Embers Careful! They're breeding LOL! - Little Embers thank you - Jacko Thanks for the rep - Cliff I couldn't find a new filter for you, but this is cool - Cliff 
    Thanks bud - Cliff Invasion of the Jackrabbits LOL! - Little Embers Merry X-mass - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Merry christmas to you to! - johndoe222 
    Happy Holidays! - Trillianne No Message - cer Birthday cake   :  ) - gadget228 Have a great birthday! - Tango Here's a shark for your backyard alkaline pond! - MLBfan 
    Childhood Cancer - Pleco380 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pleco380 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Pleco380 

0 Not allowed!
    Don't even bother with CAE's. They're ruthless killers.
    26 gallon planted- 1 Black Angelfish, 1 Clown Pleco, Community of Ghost Shrimp
    3 gallon- Male orange VT betta "Mojave"
    Read about my fish in my blog:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...wjournal&j=467

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    you might as well bring the CAE back to the store. A CAE in a ten gallon won't be healthy long.

"Ruthless killers" is a bit strong. They are aggressive, but in aggressive tanks they are fine.
    Last edited by sheamurai; 02-26-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    20gal long planted community

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sheamurai,
    cant take him back to the store. there are no local lfs around here, petsmart and petco wont take him. i'm stuck with him. the biggest thing I have is a ten gallon and I got chewed out for getting that. Some time I want to get him something bigger or find him a new home. have been trying both. Will be upgrading to a 125Gal by the end of summer, But I will have nowhere to put the 55 when that happens. Building a huge tank in a couple years, but i'm not even counting on that till it can happen!
    Brhino,
    He was attacking my black ghost knife and clown loaches. bit the tail fin off of my black skirt tetra and was just very agressive towards everyone. Never knew he would be so agressive! I now do my research before I even think about getting anything. I will not lose my knife or clowns for that little bugger!
    Last edited by BigFish10; 02-27-2012 at 12:29 AM.
    55Gal, 4 Clown Loaches, 1 Black Ghost Knife, 1 Common Pleco (12"), 1 Chinese Algae eater, 2 Black Skirt Tetra, 3 White Skirt Tetra, 3 Glowfish
    600Gal Koi pond, 3 Koi, 4 Pool comets
    24,000 Gal Pond, no stock yet.

0 Not allowed!
    Put an add on CL "To give away to a suitable home" - and hope for the best.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The CAE gets testy and territorial as it matures. If it has tank mates that are mid-low range swimmers, a confrontation is almost inevitable. Honestly, finding him a new home is a must. Size dependent, a 10 gallon tank isn't the "best movement" you can make, as the decreased size can really stress them out, but I understand your situation. Just try not to keep him in there for too long.