· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Fish addicted to CO2?

0 Not allowed!
    I recently added some yeast CO2 reactors to my 75G tank in an attempt to reduce algae. Once I did this I started hearing an odd popping sound every few minutes. Eventually I figured out that one of the koi is biting the CO2 coming out of the tube before it goes into the diffuser. The fish seems to like biting the CO2 bubbles, but I can't imagine why. He's the only fish in the tank that even bothers with them and I swear the other fish look at him funny when he does it.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
    75G Coldwater Setup (May 2011)
    Angelfish Fry Development Project

0 Not allowed!
    Not with my Co2 yet, but my Rams tend to nip at the bubble wall like the enemy of the state; religiously--and especially when guarding their eggs. I've wondered if a delicious meal has been growing there, though.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have read that CO2 is sometimes used as a fish anesthetic, as it tends to narcotize fish and make them "sleepy" like you would see with clove oil.

The fish may have learned that it "feels better" if it bites at the bubbles. Though, it would need to be in pain to react to an anesthetic in that matter I think.

Side question -- You are going to put those koi in a pond at some point yes?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    lol so in other words your koi is a dopehead and likes getting high

for reals though, your koi will def need a pond soon. they need some space to grow and roam around
    Link to my Journal: patinthehat's 50g journey
    50g-11 neon tetras, 749 billion pond snails, 3 Bristlenose Plecos, Red Cherry Shrimp, and assassin snails on the way!

0 Not allowed!
    Since the CO2 reactor is yeast based my wife wondered if there could be trance amounts of alcohol in the CO2 and maybe the fish was getting 'drunk'. Any way you look at it this fish has a serious 'air problem' ;-)

They koi will almost definitely be heading into a pond this summer sometime. Hopefully my own, if we finally end up getting our own house, otherwise I'll sell them to a friend of mine. I was planning on putting a pond in last summer for them but things fell through with the house we were looking at. Hopefully better luck this summer.
    75G Coldwater Setup (May 2011)
    Angelfish Fry Development Project

0 Not allowed!
    It's been so long since I used any CO2 but your post brought back memories of a rainbowfish I had that did that. He's spend all day sitting in front of the bubbler doing that. My thoughts at the time that he thought it was a feeder of some kind so just grabbed everything to come out of it.