· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Jewel cichlid breeding behaviour??

0 Not allowed!
    hi all first I'de like to apologise in case this is in the wrong area of the forum. I have just bought two jewel cichlidsand have noticed that the always appeared to be swimming side-by-side they very rarely leave each other and I have noticed sort of rubbing themselves against each other. I was wondering if this is courting behaviour or something entirely different as I have never bred these fish before. If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks Alexander

yes

ps I shall attempt to take some video footage and post a link here if no one can help

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like they are testing each other for suitability. Pairs rarely get along, though, even if it's two males or two females. One will determine the other is unsuitable and kill it.

If you've an aquarium of sufficient size and maturity, it'd be best if you bought eight jewel cichlids, so you'd have an excellent chance of a suitable pair.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    Sounds like they are testing each other for suitability. Pairs rarely get along, though, even if it's two males or two females. One will determine the other is unsuitable and kill it.

If you've an aquarium of sufficient size and maturity, it'd be best if you bought eight jewel cichlids, so you'd have an excellent chance of a suitable pair.

Dave
    many thanks for that Dave. I will keep that in mind I'm running a 400 L tank with very little in it. Do you think I'll get 8 jewels in there?and what else is suitable tank mates?

Alexander

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi alex,

I kept 5 Jewels in a 800L and it was a complete disaster... There was only enough room for 1 pair and 1 other male... the other 2 were constantly bullied.

Best to stick with one pair in a 400L with other study community fish.

Id like to show you a video of my 2 old jewels with their fry.... Now imagine them in your tank with 6 other jewels and other fish...

Im pretty sure Dave means get 8 and wait till 2 pair up and rehome the rest.

Last edited by -Alex-; 04-03-2012 at 08:47 PM.
    20gal- Honey gourami's, Endlers, otto's and minnows.
    22gal- 2 Honey gourami's, Bichir senegalus, apisto hongsloi
    33gal- (future home to Bichir senegalus)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Alex-
    Hi alex,

I kept 5 Jewels in a 800L and it was a complete disaster... There was only enough room for 1 pair and 1 other male... the other 2 were constantly bullied.

Best to stick with one pair in a 400L with other study community fish.

Id like to show you a video of my 2 old jewels with their fry.... Now imagine them in your tank with 6 other jewels and other fish...

Im pretty sure Dave means get 8 and wait till 2 pair up and rehome the rest.

wow that's pretty crazy stuff. Doesn't look like anything is going to get near the young anyway. Thanks for your post and all your advice.
    Alexander

6. Default jewels with eggs

0 Not allowed!
    looks like you people were right bout my jewels... what do i do from here on??

alexander

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great Video! Thank You for sharing.

0 Not allowed!
    You should be aware that a breeding pair of jewels can and have killed all their tankmates depending on the tank size.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff