· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Unhappy Why are my corys so hyper?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone,

I have had 2 albino corys (Almond & Vanilla) for almost 2 years. They usually just hang around the bottom of the tank and are pretty lazy (I call them the fat cats). I recently added a male betta (Rico) & 2 green gold corys (Kory & Katrina). Everyones behavior was normal not alot of activity then after a few weeks all of the corys started swimming all over the tank constantly, they're swimming at the mid level of the tank and not settling at the bottom at all like usual, they're really hyper. None of them are hovering at the top they just wont stop swimming.
    They're breathing & eating normally, the PH & Ammonia levels are good. Either my corys are high on something or I'm overreacting. Could it be that theyre finally used to each other & happy b/c corys do better in groups??
    Its a fluval edge 6 gallon tank & its been happening for 3 days straight, its like theyre on steriods. Please help im worried :-(

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    its because corys are a schooling fish and albino and bronze corys (i assume thats what they are, not the green corys which get much larger and are a different species entirely) are the same species. theyre happy that they have more in there. ideally you want a school of at least 6. in a six gallon tank you dont have the room. i hate to be a basher but corydoras aeneus cant be properly housed in a 6gal tank theyre very active fish.

0 Not allowed!
    It would really help your fish if you got a tank of at least 30 inches, or returned them. Also, I saw you said pH and ammonia are good, but what about nitrItes and nitrAtes? Those are nearly as important. And do you know of cycling? Oh and what do you test your water with?

The movement is probably just normal as Katze said. I just feel an urge to ask new members these questions. Anyway, they should have a bigger tank.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-11-2012 at 03:58 PM.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

0 Not allowed!
    Normal Cory behavior IMO. Got some Sterbai myself and they are always in motion. Mostly at the mid to lower portion of tank. A six is a small tank. I wouldn't put a single additional fish in it. Ideally you would want a larger tank, for them to move about in. But if your limited, don't add any more. On the issue of the green cory, if they do get larger, you will need a larger tank. Never kept Green Cory before.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Any bullying by the betta ? Any torn fins ?
    Cory

Welcome to My Blog http://corydorus.blogspot.com

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MLBfan
    It would really help your fush if you got a tank of at least 30 inches, or returned them. Also, I saw you said pH and ammonia are good, but what about nitrItes and nitrAtes? Those are nearly as important. And do you know of cycling? Oh and what do you test your water with?

The movement is probably just normal as Katze said. I just feel an urge to ask new members these questions. Anyway, they should have a bigger tank.
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes the tank is cycled i've had it for almost 2 years the albinos are the original fish & I forgot to mention nitrates are good as well i use API test kits they pretty accurate.
    I plan on getting a 12 gallon in a few months b/c even tho my albinos are at theyre full size my green corys might get a lil bigger I havent had more than 5 or 6 fish b/c of the limited space i know its time to upgrade

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    Any bullying by the betta ? Any torn fins ?
    Nope everyone is getting along really well. I was really skeptical about adding a betta I took a chance. They dont really bother each other & keep a neutral space. Since the corys tend to stay at the bottom (except for recently) my betta has plenty of room to swim and doesnt seem to be intimidated by their size....so far so good

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like the Cory got a bacteria attack and her internal defense system failed her. The bacteria may have been dormant in her body.
    Cory

Welcome to My Blog http://corydorus.blogspot.com

0 Not allowed!
    If you should loose your corys for any reason, I would not buy more. Six gallons is much too small for corys. Your tank is OK for the betta and that's about it.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 4 corydoras in a 10g. Thought of adding my male betta with them. The betta didn't bother the corys much, but did try flaring up against the emerald cory. I didn't wanna take a chance so moved the betta back to his 3g.

The corys were just moved into the 10g. I might give them some time to settle in the new tank and add the betta once again.

And yeah, 2 of the corys got hyper when the betta was added. They were swimming up n down and rested only after an hour or so after removing the betta.
    45gallon
    Plants: Anacharis, Amazon Sword
    Fish: 4 Comet Goldfish
    4 Corydora Catfish