· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Two pleco questions

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all -

Two questions for you.

1) Can you overfeed a pleco with veggies?
    I gave my three plecos (pinstripe panaque, albino longfin BN, and gold nugget, all in a 92 gallon established tank with zero ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, pH 7) some zucchini and cucumber, which I have done many times in the past. The albino BN attacked the zucchini, ate very happily all night, and was dead 4 days later...I am so bummed, she was my fiance's favorite fish. They are all still young and relatively small, the BN was about 2 inches. Mistakes I think I may have made - did not buy organic, did not scrub the skin or peel it...maybe a preservative? Or just overate? The other plecos are fine.

2) Can BN plecos become aggressive/terrritorial?
    In my 29 gallon tank I have a young growing BN pleco, who I think is male - only 2 inches and has bristles all over - has been quite shy until just recently, when suddenly he became quite aggressive towards my three baby synodontis lucipinnis - so I moved him into the 92 gallon, where he is eating away and seems very happy, but has displaced my pinstripe panaque and shoved him into the back of the tank. I am not happy about this as the pinstripe is MY favorite fish!! I am thinking of moving the pinstripe (about 3 in) into the new 26 gallon we are about to start, once it has cycled, to give him some peace.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No, you generally cannot overfeed plecos with veggies. How long did you have the fish before it died? You do not have to buy organic veggies but you should be washing them thoroughly.

Plecos do become more 'aggressive' as they age. Its not so much aggressive as it is territorial. They will claim a cave/spot and maintain it. My royal does the same thing with a cave and thus my loaches had to find a new hiding place.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We had her for about 4 months, we got her somewhere around the end of November. She had been doing great, munching all over, and growing....we had no idea anything was wrong.

Glad to hear I didn't over feed her...maybe preservative issue? She did munch a lot of the rind, which she had never really done before.

Do you think I should leave my pinstripe alone and let them figure it out? I'm just sad cuz now he's in the back of the tank and hard to see him! :)

4. Cool answer

0 Not allowed!
    i dont know about #1 but #2 no they cant get aggressive
    " The Day i learn how to fly, i'm never coming down."
    - Rise Against.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i disagree with shuteye, IMO plecos can become highly aggressive if provoked and as mentioned earlier, some species are territorial. I have a rubbernose, and if one of my frogs tried to take his algae wafer he would flare his fins and charge at them so they ran away. If they kept coming back too many times he would eventually stick the frogs face in his mouth and try to viciously eat the frog. Frogs never messed with him again. Very aggressive little buggers they are.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekfishlover2011
    i disagree with shuteye, IMO plecos can become highly aggressive if provoked and as mentioned earlier, some species are territorial. I have a rubbernose, and if one of my frogs tried to take his algae wafer he would flare his fins and charge at them so they ran away. If they kept coming back too many times he would eventually stick the frogs face in his mouth and try to viciously eat the frog. Frogs never messed with him again. Very aggressive little buggers they are.
    I agree, I have a albino BN and my Blue Gourmi always eats his alge whafer or veggies. The BN rushes over their and chases after him for a bit. Not really agressive just defending food.
    29 Gallon: 6 Zebra Dianos, Albino BN Pleco, Ghost Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuteye800
    i dont know about #1 but #2 no they cant get aggressive
    Wrong answer......again.