· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Neon health questions

0 Not allowed!
    After I fishless cycled my 10G, I bought 10 neon tetras 8 days ago. After drip acclimating them (thanks to the sticky - sorry I don't remember who at the moment) I put them in the tank and they are all still alive and active. The nitrates were a little high when I put them in (but I'd been waiting so long...) and then two days later when I tested the 'trAtes were at 60ppm. So I did a water change immediately and then the next day as well and after the 2nd, the nitrates had dropped to 10-20 (it's hard for me to tell the difference on the new API chart) and were still in that range two days ago. Ammonia spiked very slightly (it might have just been me) but is now zero and the nitrItes have been zero the entire time.
    The problem is that I have noticed some, maybe five or six, have red edges to their gills, while in the rest the gills are pretty much invisible when closed. The question is: would high nitrates cause gill damage? Is there anything I can do for them besides keep the nitrates low with water changes?
    The second issue is that four of them (the biggest one, one of the smallest, and two of the medium ones) have much more rounded bellies than the others. They are all swimming fine and eating voratiously - I feed a flake food once a day and sinking micro-pellets once a day. I am wondering if they could have internal parasites? Is there some way to treat that? Or am I just being paranoid?
    Thanks in advance for your advice (and patience with a new fish owner)!
    "Life is a dance you learn as you go" - John Michael Montgomery

10G w/ 4 neon tetras (yes, I know I need to restock)

0 Not allowed!
    Girls are fatter. Maybe just filling with some eggs. Not sure what happened with their gills. May have been those high nitrates and those water changes probably should have been done before the fish were added to not but them thru so much stress right away.

0 Not allowed!
    Have you continued to test for ammonia and nitrite. I assume you are using dechlorinated water?

What is the ph of the tank, before and after water changes?
    Last edited by MuckyFish; 04-08-2012 at 02:43 AM.
    Mucky

Unusually I have nothing more to add...

0 Not allowed!
    Some of my neons would get "marble belly" when I first got them, chowing down and eating like starving fish. After a few days this stopped happening (about a week, perhaps a little less) when they learned food would come at a regular interval.

I am no expert on neons, however, in my experience they seem to be sensitive little fish, and I would guess it was the small ammonia spike causing the gill redness.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @LadyHobbs- I was wondering how to tell the genders apart, so thanks for the tip

@MuckyFish- I have continued to test, yes. Yesterday's results were Am 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10-20, pH 7.4 on the high range API test and 7.6 on the low range one, and temp at 76. I know the pH is a little high, but the guy at the lfs where I bought the fish said their water is 7.2 and their neons are comfortable. The pH hasn't changed any with the water changes. I hadn't thought that it might be causing the problem with the gills... hmmm. Also, I am using Prime dechlorinator.

@Tiari- yeah, I think that may have been the issue with the littler ones. I noticed the other night that I could see micro-pellet-sized bulges on the smallest one after I fed them The medium and small ones seem to have lost their bulges, now they just look a little rounder than the others instead of looking funny shaped.
    I do wonder if the biggest one might have eggs, though, since she's still rather 'bulgy' and seems to have gotten territorial about the terra cotta pot cave. There's also one of the other big neons, much slimmer, who seems to be keeping her company. Unfortunately, I do not have another tank to put them in or any way to keep the fry if the eggs did hatch, so I guess they're just out of luck...

Anyway, thanks for the responses everyone! I'll keep you updated!
    "Life is a dance you learn as you go" - John Michael Montgomery

10G w/ 4 neon tetras (yes, I know I need to restock)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From my experience, they do tend to bulge if they gorge themselves. Usually it goes away after a few feedings once they get used to how much and often you feed.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you probably won't be having baby neons. I thought I had some breeding behavior going on a while back, but was informed that neon eggs are extremely light sensitive and will only hatch if the tank is kept pitch black. The person who told me this had bred them for quite some time. He actually kept his breeding tank in a closet and only opened it to remove fry on a very scheduled basis.
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone