· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default My Oscar is attacking the new Texas

0 Not allowed!
    My Albino longfin Oscar (Murdoch 32cm) has been in the tank for a couple of months now and he has been more than happy he lives with a clown loach and salmon tail, I have recently added a 5' Texas to the mix and the longfin will not leave him alone! the tank is large enough to house all of the fish. He is not doing any damage just chasing him with a BIG open mouth? any suggestions? is he just puffing out his chest to show the new guy whos boss?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you mean 5' or 5"?

What size tank do you have?

0 Not allowed!
    That tank is the Oscars home and he doesn't want to share it with this new fish now. Perhaps if they had been added together as babies, they would have grown up together and accepted each other but not now.

An Oscars needs 75 gallons to himself.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    5 inches....it is 120 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    Can you rearrange things so it's new to both of them?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, I think that is going to be the best option...damn and I had it perfect too :(... in your opinion could any more fish be added to my tank (120 gal), the last thing I want to do is further upset Murdoch (longfin), I would love to have some Jags in there but I feel as tho I may need ANOTHER tank! thoughts?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdochthelongfin
    Yea, I think that is going to be the best option...damn and I had it perfect too :(... in your opinion could any more fish be added to my tank (120 gal), the last thing I want to do is further upset Murdoch (longfin), I would love to have some Jags in there but I feel as tho I may need ANOTHER tank! thoughts?

I think your best option is to create a cave or hideout large enough for the texas but too small for the oscar. This way you won't have to really rearrange much in the aquascaping and your texas can get a little breathing room. Our oscars are approximately the same size, and my oscar religiously chases others with the big oscar "o" face. My fish all grew up together but it doesn't make a difference. There is never any damage. Even when the aro gets pinned against the glass, the aro just turns toward the oscar kind of saying "really?" and then swims away. It's almost turned into a game of tag amongst the fish...the flowerhorn seems to loose every time...

I wouldn't add any more fish to your set up, with the exception of some dither fish to perhaps curb the aggression of your oscar - if it's even getting that bad. As for the jags, definitely a no go! They get too big and too aggressive to have mixed in with an oscar and texas in a 120g.

Just remember that simplicity can be beautiful. Watching a full grown oscar swim freely and peacefully in a large aquarium with very few other inhabitants can be one of the most relaxing experiences...in the fish world that is...

Okay I feel like I'm rambling...
    220g South American
    90g Reef
    20g Reef
    20g Reef

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdochthelongfin
    No more fish.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would just like everyone to know that while the oscar and texas don't exactly get along they are not fighting, I have made the texas a little cave and he is happy.