· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default black fin shark advice???

0 Not allowed!
    i did the impulse buy thing again....
    i purchased a black fin shark, however he was injured in the bagging process and they caught another for me. they let me keep the first one in case he recovered and to my surprise he did! in the slow process of setting up a 55 gallon so i figured they could mature in there.... however the tank is far from done. my intention was to house them with my gourami and other docile fish.... but the 55 was intended for african cichlids. and to make matters worse the cichlids are being stored in my 25 gallon.... so i put them in my 10 gallon quarantine with my gourami and a hand full of guppies. i know ur probably all thinking im nuts and there are so many things wrong... basically what i need to kno is if they will survive with the cichlids. they all seem docile except for my red zebra. i also need to know how long they can stay in the ten gallon if at all. they are still under 2 inches and im nervous to put them in with such aggressive fish at such a young age. also how long can they live in freshwater? i know they prefer brackish conditions but iv had bad experiences with catfish and salt. any other information on the breed would also be appreciated.

Unhappy

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking of responding to each section individually, but instead, I think I'll just answer outright and return of the sharks. They need brackish water and I wouldn't keep 1 in a 55 gallon, much less two. This is why you should never impulse buy ANY fish and always do your research. So now it seems you have a:
    A 55 gallon
    Empty
    A 25 gallon
    • African cichlids (how many? What kinds?)

A 10 gallon QT
    • A gourami (What kind)
    • Guppies
    • Those two sharks at two inches

Well that is a mess. A gourami and African cichids will not coexist well. Guppies and cichlids will not coexist well.

Are you quarantining the gourami or guppies for anything?
    Why is nothing in the 25G?
    What tanks are cycled?
    ALSO what are the water parameters in all the tanks?

Answer those questions please. The two biggest things are:

Return of the sharks! And

Do your research. Never impulse buy.
    Last edited by MLBfan; 04-08-2012 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Puncuation/ spelling
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok... there are 5 cichlids... and they ARE in the 25 gallon. i have one male red zebra cichlid an acei cichlid, one yellow lab, and the other two i havnt identified yet. i believe i only have one male, or at least thats what i aimed for. i did transfer the sharks to the 25 about 2 hours ago and they seem happy for now. im still concerned about the red zebra bullying them though.

the ten gallon houses my opaline gourami, my male crowntail beta, and the guppies. the guppies were a reluctantly accepted gift. they are pretty and colorful but i detest how quickly they breed and over crowd their tanks. i found this to be a simple solution as the gourami and beta leave my big pretty males alone but they do hunt the fry keeping their numbers to a minimum.

all of my tanks are cycled and have the apropriate lighting, heating and airation with the exception of the 55. the 55 has been cycleing for 2 weeks now and i still need to purchase a heater and a suitable air pump. i test all of my tanks water weekly and do 25% water changes every 3 days. all my tanks are set at 78 degrees, but the ph does vary a little from 7.0 to 7.4. i have yet to figure out why that is.

AND finally my plan for the sharks is to donate them to my mother in law's 150 gallon show tank, but befor i move them they need to mature and i need to acclimate them to brackish conditions. i hope to have the 55 complete by the end of next week. the ammonias have already cycled to nitrite and i should be able to afford the remaining equipment with this paycheck. whith just them and the cichlids would they be alright until they reach about 4-4 1/2 inches?

are there any bottom feeders that u do recommend for any of the three tanks? i feel like they just kind of complete the scene but i dont want to impulse buy another fish.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm confused on even what these sharks are. There's a black shark that grows to 2 ft and a black fin shark that grows to about 10" but is actually a catfish.

But I was wondering if your MIL even wanted her 150 gallon to be a brackish tank. She may not appreciate this "gift" for her tank anymore than you did your guppy gift. If she has fish currently in her tank, are those brackish?

When your 55 cycles, it's fine for the cichlids (plus more), the 25 for the gourami and guppies and the 10 for the Betta. And feed the cichlids the guppy surplus. All seems fine except for those sharks. I'd also return them. I know of no one who wants others buying fish for their tanks.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-08-2012 at 06:43 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes she only keeps brackish tanks. and actually she asked for them... otherwise i would have returned them. again the only problem is their size. she already has a large cat.

and to verify its the black fin "shark" catfish or the colombian catfish.

what other fish could i keep with my cichlids? theyr pretty and colorful but i like variety.

0 Not allowed!
    African Cichlids usually do best in a species only tank or with some catfish. I'll let someone else answer specifics though as I am not too familiar with them.

I saw this under your CP:
    Aquarium 1: i have a 25 gallon bow front with a green spotted puffer, 4 black widow tetras, an opaline gourami, a plecostemous and two african cichlids.
    I have to ask. Do you still have the tetras, puffer or pleco? If you do that changes the situation.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

0 Not allowed!
    I'd keep your african tank to only africans. It's not necessary to have a bottom feeder crawling around in the cichlid caves.

I have never kept them so will leave that for those that have.

The best I can do is that if you want mbuna's, buy those from Lake Malawi.

You do not want one of this and one of that but groups of the same species.......1 male to 3-4 female.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Columbian Catfish unfortuntately are sold very frequently at larger chains. I had one a few years back because of an impulse buy. I named him Hoover because of how quickly he ate, he looked like a vacuum cleaner running along the surface and bottom of the tank. Very interesting fish, they look like they are yawning when tired. I may be wrong but I believe the male carries the eggs up river and the fry spend their adolecense in freshwater before making thier way out to the delta. Some end up in saltwater tanks as well. Hoover was an inch and a half when I bought him and 9inches when he died. Hoover taught me a valuable lesson to seek advice before buying anything living thing. Actually, I was in Petco the other day and they had a bunch. Good to hear those 2 are going to a good home!