· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Glowlight Spawning Behaviour but no eggs seen

0 Not allowed!
    I am seeing a couple of my glow lights show some spawning behaviour doing the upside down barrel roll in the Java Fern for two days in a row, but I have not seen eggs produced by the spawning.

Are they just going to be too small to see or is it possible that the female doesn't have any eggs to deposit because of fish / water condition?

I do see the pair of neons going into the java fern but I can't see if they are really eating something. Allthough the neons don't typically cruise in the java fern.

I have pH 7.8 to 8 typically.
    Nitrate est 20 ppm will test tomorrow.
    If I do have eggs in a low stocked community tank what are chances that any eggs will hatch?

Also is the spawning behavior likely to be due to something I've done or just spring weather (several weather fronts have come through in past week and half)? I did improve the Nitrate situation a few days ago as it was higher than I had anticipated and I put slightly cooler water in the usual and upped the tank temperature by a very small margin probably less than 1 degree Farenheit? I haven't got around to feeding live food yet.

If you have any experience with glow lights breeding I would appreciate some guidance to try and do this properly because I would love to be able to breed them.

If i do get any visible fry at this point it will be difficult because I don't have suitable fry food available at this point.
    Mucky

Unusually I have nothing more to add...

0 Not allowed!
    Tetras and many other egg laying species, quite often have a taste for eggs. It's likely that the other fish are eating the eggs before they hit the bottom.

Default Eggs

0 Not allowed!
    Finally saw some eggs released today when I happened to be watching the tank at lunch time. About a dozen white dots released. FANTASTIC!

Then three seconds later most of them get eaten but conclusion, you can see them briefly. I think one made it out of reach into the substrate and maybe two others.

I saw other spawning attempts but only one release of eggs. Still that makes me happy, very happy.

The fish doing the spawning seem to go very pale in color the glowlight stripes and eye markings go very pale almost a light pink. Then they color up later. The female taking longer than the male.

I doubt the surviving eggs will hatch. The small male appears to be quite territorial around the java fern that is being used as a spawning mop. I think that in the unlikely event that the egg hatches it will probably fish food a few seconds later.

I will look into a breeding setup for these fish. Suggestions welcome.
    Mucky

Unusually I have nothing more to add...