· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default How many Neon Tetras

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have 10 Glass Shrimp and 5 Cherry Shrimp in a 9g aquarium, the dimensions are 38cm(length), 25cm(depth) and 35cm(height). I was wondering whether I could put 15 Neon Tetras in there as well.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am sure others here will tell you 15 would be ok. From my experience and lots of research, I would honestly stop at 6, maybe 10, if you are religious about maintenance. Most of that number is going to come from your personal maintenance routine and what you think as you add them in. I would start with 6 and see how you feel with them and the shrimp. If you think there is enough space, add 4 more.
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

0 Not allowed!
    I think 15 would be fine. I have 8 in my 10 gallon and it's empty. I also am going to be adding more.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In reference to my other tank which is 30g do you think that it could take 30 Neon Tetras and 25 Guppies, it is well planted with 2 air filtration systems and a 500L external canister filter.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As preveosly stated in your other thread. 25 guppies is too many. I prommise you that if you get 2 males and 6 females you will have more guppies than you will know what to do with in a very short time.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With just the shrimp in there you should be fine, but be forewarned that neons have a great taste for shrimp! If you are going to be adding other fish I would suggest against 15 neons in that size tank, as in my experience you may experience aggression either within the neon school or from outside against the neons.

I say this because I had a school of 17 tetras in 20 gallon with 2 ADFs for months when I decided to add a single GBR, and within two days of adding the GBR I had two neons with nipped tail fins. One of them had half of his tail eaten away. This appeared to be from neons nipping neons within the school, and I witnessed them chasing each other around and ganging up on each other multiple times.

I've since then pared down to 9 neons and added another GBR, and the neons school closer and are more active thanks to the smaller school size and the added presence of the bossy GBRs.

0 Not allowed!
    But he is not talking about having GBR or ADF's. He simply asked about neons and shrimp. Which is what I have in my 10 gallons. I would not put shrimp or neons with GBR or ADF's.

Two days after adding GBR to your tank, you had neons with nipped fins and you blamed that on other neons? The GBR nipped their fins.

My neons also do not eat the shrimp.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    But he is not talking about having GBR or ADF's. He simply asked about neons and shrimp. Which is what I have in my 10 gallons. I would not put shrimp or neons with GBR or ADF's.

Two days after adding GBR to your tank, you had neons with nipped fins and you blamed that on other neons? The GBR nipped their fins.

My neons also do not eat the shrimp.
    As I said above, I was simply suggesting against it if he was thinking of adding other fish.

Everything I've read about GBR on this board and others prior to purchasing suggested a school of neons as one of the more compatible tank mates, so I'm not sure why someone as experienced as you would suggest against it. I also have added other GBRs and reduced the size of the neon school, and there has been no further aggression. As also stated above, I witnessed neons ganging up on and chasing each other.

0 Not allowed!
    You stated yourself that you had neons for months and two days after adding the GBR your neons had nipped fins. Had there been more than one GBR, their attention would have been on each other. Adding one, their attention was drawn to other fish in the tank and why after adding more, you no longer had that problem.

But we are talking in this thread of shrimp and neons in a 9 gallon tank, not GBR, Shrimp, Neons, and ADF in a 20 gallon?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by seancotterill
    I currently have 10 Glass Shrimp and 5 Cherry Shrimp in a 9g aquarium, the dimensions are 38cm(length), 25cm(depth) and 35cm(height). I was wondering whether I could put 15 Neon Tetras in there as well.
    I don't see a problem with it as long as you have good filtration and keep up with your waterchanges. I would not add them all at once, maybe 5 every week or two until you reach the desired number.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1