· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Can I keep fancy Goldfish in my pond without a heater?

0 Not allowed!
    My dad and are almost done setting up our 200gal pond in the backyard (dad just want's to do a bit more of stone work to hide the waterfall weir better). It's a bit more then 3' deep and I live in the San Fernando valley so I know I don't have to worry about the pond freezing over in winter but it does get pretty cold sometimes at night in December and January (40-50F). Summer gets really hot too but we picked the coolest/shadiest spot for the pond so that shouldn't be a problem.

I've read that Ryukins and Fantails are sturdier then other fancies, but my local fish shop just got some Panda Telescopes that I am just in love with and I do want some for the pond. So basically am I going to need a heater or will the warmer bottom water get them through the winter nights.

Also is there a way I could use an extra aquarium heater to warm up the pond instead of getting a new pond heater if I need one?
    Last edited by Lenimph; 03-27-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    In general I wouldn't recommend fancies in water that cool, but some people have had success overwintering fancies (and many, probably MANY more have failed).

In general, yes, the less fancy the goldfish is the hardier it is.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    IMO they will be fine. I had two black moors and a Ryukin overwinter in colorado just fine. Water was frozen over for weeks at a time except for a 2" breathing hole in the mid. In the end the racoons were the only thing that got them. :(

For the most part as long as the water is liquid and has surface agitation the goldfish will be fine. I think where some people run into problems is feeding them when the water is below 50F. Don't do that. They will be fine until it warms up.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I the same problem last year with the racoons.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrup
    IMO they will be fine. I had two black moors and a Ryukin overwinter in colorado just fine. Water was frozen over for weeks at a time except for a 2" breathing hole in the mid. In the end the racoons were the only thing that got them. :(

For the most part as long as the water is liquid and has surface agitation the goldfish will be fine. I think where some people run into problems is feeding them when the water is below 50F. Don't do that. They will be fine until it warms up.
    This has been my experience, except for the raccoon, in the high deserts of Nevada. We've a venturi that sucks in some air and keeps a breathing hole down to below 20F. We have found it quite important not feeding below 50F. Our fancy calicos seem tougher than black moors outside and inside for some reason.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep nothing too fancy... Long tails is fine but deformed weird looking bodies is a no no (It might work but more risky).

Iv kept fancy and comets in my pond for 2 years now no problem. During winter i pour the kettle over the ice to make a hole (Pond needs to be deep if you have very cold winters).
    I just use a net to keep the animals away from them (I removed it for the vid)
    Last edited by -Alex-; 05-31-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    20gal- Honey gourami's, Endlers, otto's and minnows.
    22gal- 2 Honey gourami's, Bichir senegalus, apisto hongsloi
    33gal- (future home to Bichir senegalus)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have successfully kept moors and fancys but not telescopes in my pond,both the 150 and 2500 gallon. I'm in Pa and our winters are far harsher then yours. The winter water temp stays around 35 to 39 deg f for months on end,all I do is keep my skimmer and falls going to keep open water.