· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New guy with a sick Salvini

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all. I'd like to start off by saying that my local LFS sucks so most of what I've learned has been from trolling here. I now have an awesome setup and some happy fish thanks to you guys :)

Setup and a little history:

Equipment and filtraiton:
    55 Gallon / Rena XP3 running 3 stages of sponge, 3 packs of bio stars, 3 packs of carbon, 8 cups of ammo chips / UV sterilizer / 200 watt heater currently 80 degrees / tetra air pump and 2 stones

Disolved chem:
    API Stress Coat and API Aquarium Salt (currently 1 tbl spoon per 3 gallons because of recent ich infestation)

Levels:
    Ammonia - 0ppm
    Nitrite - 0ppm
    Nitrate - 20ppm

Stock:
    4" Gold Severum
    5" Pleco
    6" Green Terror
    6" Peacock
    6" Black Belt
    8" Salvini
    (4) 4" Tinfoil Barbs

So on to my problem. I recently bought a sick 8" Green Terror (about 3 weeks ago) without knowing from my local LFS. I've always read that a quarantine period is needed but at the time my small tank was being used for water aging and I didn't have the hardware to make it hospitable for new fish. Anyways, my sales person said they observed him for a while and he was fine and should be able to go straight into the tank after some temp acclimation. So I got the big guy home and he seemed fine for the first day but on the second day he started flipping out and bashing himself against the tank, his stomach swelled by the third day and he couldn't stay upright. I took him back to the store and the manager gave me my pick of the stock. I chose a similar sized Salvini and told her to put and order in for another GT since I loved their coloring and really wanted one for my tank. The very next day after the sick GT was gone I noticed white specks on my Peacock. I searched here and learned what ich was. I immidiately started to up the temp, brought the salinity up and bought a UV steriliazer an commenced 30-40% daily WC's. It's 3 weeks later now, the ich went away and didn't show up on any other fish, the levels are perfect, and I've started dropping the temp back to a normal level (couldn't keep it high much longer, since there was some spawing like behavior going on and my Sev got stressed half to death by my Blackbelt chasing it). So now that everything in the tank seems to be going well my Salvini has a freaking hole above his eye. It started as a red bump it getting worse! Is it something I did?! He's a beatiful fish and fits in amazingly with the others, and I'd hate to lose him. Have any of you seen this before? I now have my second tank set up to hold a fish, should I treat him with something or is salt and water changing enough?

BTW, I got that new GT, he's smaller but still beautiful :)

Last edited by KingFisher; 03-28-2012 at 09:35 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately I can't address your particular issue because I am unfamiliar with what you are describing, but I wonder why you are using a small tank for "water aging"? You don't use dechlorinator? If you do, you don't need to let the water sit before adding it to your tank.

That also seems to be one heck of a lot of large fish for that size tank. How long have you had that many?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    Unfortunately I can't address your particular issue because I am unfamiliar with what you are describing, but I wonder why you are using a small tank for "water aging"? You don't use dechlorinator? If you do, you don't need to let the water sit before adding it to your tank.

That also seems to be one heck of a lot of large fish for that size tank. How long have you had that many?
    I have the smaller tank plumbed in for a couple reasons. I live in a ton with hard water and chloramines. So I have a filtered line coming up from the basement tapped to a float valve that fills the tank. In the tank, I have a heater to get it up to temp and an air stone to circulate the air and let everything evaporate as well as a pump hooked up to a spray bar in the main tank to fill when a do my changes (I treat with conditioner and add salt a couple hours before a change). From all of my reading it seems that chloramines do not get eliminated with conditioner. Also the tank is now useable as a hospital since it's heated and has circulation. When I put a fish in there I go back to my buckets and stress coat.

I've had the barbs for going on a yr and a half now, the severum and peacock for a few months, the black belt is slightly newer than them and the two newbies are the green terror and salvini. I had smaller fish in there before the peacock but gave some away and let him eat the rest.

0 Not allowed!
    I would guess that it's aggression, stress and possibly water quality that are causing the problems. You do realize that your tank is horribly overstocked, right?

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher
    I would guess that it's aggression, stress and possibly water quality that are causing the problems. You do realize that your tank is horribly overstocked, right?
    Hmm. I hear ya on the overstocking. I'm thinking about getting a bigger tank or a second 55. As for aggression, he runs the tank and no one dares touch him (he actually has 2 hiding spots claimed in the tank). I've seen him chase other fish away from the cave but never seen anyone swim up to him other than the barbs who play tag around everyone indiscriminately. Do you think it's some sort of infection?

0 Not allowed!
    I would say that its a bite as well. Those fish cannot all live in that size tank without some aggression happening
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame
    I would say that its a bite as well. Those fish cannot all live in that size tank without some aggression happening
    I'll keep an eye out, maybe it is an infected bite.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So the infection got slightly worse but has been stable with the elevated salt. I've read that I can net him and swab the wound with betadine. Is this true? Can he still be in the main tank when I do this?