0 Not allowed!
    I have an unplanted betta tank.

-10gal cycled with fish
    -TOM Rapids Power Filter rated for 20gal
    -50% changed weekly, and gravel vac
    -2 bettas, 2 frogs, 2 snails, 6 baby albino cories
    -amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 30ppm
    -HUGE amounts of green spot algae i think

That last part is my problem. Every wall except the front is solidly coated with the algae. The snails dont seem to be able to eat that. The filter is completely coated in it as well. Its slightly darker than this and its half impossible to get off, even by scrubbing with my algae scraper.

If i got live plants, but didnt dose with CO2, would that make the algae problem better or worse? Ive heard ppl say plants bring algae and ive heard others say it helps get rid of it, so i need to get it all figured out. Any answers at all would be appreciated.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    Plants can help lower your nitrates which will help to take food away from your algae. You do not need CO2 for that, IMO.

Lowering your nitrates and reducing your lighting period would likely reduce the algae as well.

How often do you clean your filter and substrate ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    gravel vac weekly with water change and my light is on from 8-10pm, but the tank is full sunlight from sunrise-10am and 6pm-sunset. The room is bright otherwise but no more direct sunlight other than when its lined up wierd at those stated time frames from the sun rising and setting.

So i guess ill get plants and lower that nitrate. :) Never had a planted tank before. Tried Willow Moss, but... hopefully i can do better on like Java Fern or something. :)
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Lowering your nitrates and reducing your lighting period would likely reduce the algae as well.
    +1 to the above, that'll help you out a lot.
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    do either of you two have any ideas for getting it out of the nooks and crannies of my filter? I already keep that blacked out. I guess that's all from high nitrate too. Should the plants lowering nitrate help there too?
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I find Algae loves natural sunlight... I tried to use natural light for a tank once and had a big algae problem.. and i normally am pretty good at combating algae!

12 hrs of light is a lot... 6-8 is normally enough for plants.

feed less, reduce lights (not sure how you can reduce natural sunlight), and increase water changes for a while and it should help clear it up.
    20gal- Honey gourami's, Endlers, otto's and minnows.
    22gal- 2 Honey gourami's, Bichir senegalus, apisto hongsloi
    33gal- (future home to Bichir senegalus)

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

Reduce your lighting period, block out the natural sun light, and reduce the nitrates. Once you have done that, your algae will go away on it's own
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Just another opinion that is in agreement. The light period is too long and nitrAtes too high.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have no idea how to block more light. My light is on for 2 hrs and the sunlight on average is... 3 hrs morning and 2 hrs night.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything