· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Corydoras and Betta fish

0 Not allowed!
    Hi All,

need suggestions. I have 4 corydoras. Panda, Emerald green, peppered and leopard design. Thinking of getting 2 more..
    I am looking to combine them in my 10g tank with a male betta fish. The betta seems to be a calm one.

If not, I am thinking of placing a divider allowing the betta 2.5gals and the rest to the corys.

Is there any specific plant species I can use in the tank? What about the use of a filter? I have read that corys and bettas like calm waters, so maybe a less powerful filter?

Thanks

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A 10g is not large enough for anything but dwarf corydoras. Half a 10g definitely wouldn't be suitable.

I do not personally advise putting corydoras and bettas together. Cories do better in temps in the low 70s. Bettas do best at 80*F. Cories are shy and casual eaters. Bettas are more aggressive and big pigs when it comes to food.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 85miles
    Hi All,

need suggestions. I have 4 corydoras. Panda, Emerald green, peppered and leopard design. Thinking of getting 2 more..
    I am looking to combine them in my 10g tank with a male betta fish. The betta seems to be a calm one.

If not, I am thinking of placing a divider allowing the betta 2.5gals and the rest to the corys.

Is there any specific plant species I can use in the tank? What about the use of a filter? I have read that corys and bettas like calm waters, so maybe a less powerful filter?

Thanks
    I wouldn't put a betta in anything less than 5gal.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Those cories will outgrow that tank quick. A larger tank would be better as cories do better in larger schools.
    40 Gallon Breeder Planted: harlequin rasbora rummynose tetra corydoras cherry barbs

40 Gallon Breeder Reef: In progress!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The peppered and leopards will do fine in a 10 gal with a beta. I have kep both togethber for years and with healthy peaceful results. I suggest keeping the 2 above mentioned sp and adding 2 more to have a comforting group. Add some structure to the tank to give the corys more surface to explore. The beta won't bother them at all and a 10 gal will do just fine for 5 small fish such as these.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my corys are really small. 1inches maximum. they were in a 29gal Goldfish tank. However, as expected the 4 comet goldies (initially the 1-2inches in size) grew to be 7-8inches in few months.

so i upgraded to a 45g tank and now i am thinking to separate the corys.

so the corys aren't getting enough food i guess. they seem very happy though, playing around and hiding in their home while the goldies play around so as not to be disturbed.

the betta lives in a 2.5g tank, perfectly fine and healthy.

anyways, thanks for all the feedback guys. more suggestions welcome

0 Not allowed!
    Me too.......no corys in a 10 gallon, that is? That tank is just fine for the betta. No reason to add more. Maybe some apple snails may interest you?

0 Not allowed!
    Your Corys may be 1 inch or less now, but if they are remotely healthy they won't stay that size long, particularly the bronze. Always plan on the adult size of the fish. If your fish aren't attaining adult sizes, then they are likely not perfectly happy, healthy and fine.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikelodeon79
    A 10g is not large enough for anything but dwarf corydoras. Half a 10g definitely wouldn't be suitable.

I do not personally advise putting corydoras and bettas together. Cories do better in temps in the low 70s. Bettas do best at 80*F. Cories are shy and casual eaters. Bettas are more aggressive and big pigs when it comes to food.
    I agree with everything except the temperature statement. I keep corydoras in 78 degree water and they breed constantly. This is the same temperature I keep all of my fish at since they are all tropical.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are you guys actually saying that a 10 gal tank is what 1 lone beta needs?! Holy cow,I know this has been an extremely conservative bunch but seriously now. A group of small corys with a beta is not cramped living space by any stretch of the imagination. As I stated earlier,if verticle structure is added to satisfy the corys natural curiosity then a 10 gal has more then enough capability for 4 corys and a beta. The usual good water change schedule and gravel vaccing along with quality foods will assure proper health even in slightly smaller tanks.