· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Red glass barb questions

0 Not allowed!
    I am working on stocking a new 26 gal bow front. I would like to add some barbs to my multiple tank household, so I was hoping to get a small school of them, and when they get too big for the 26, move them to the 180 that we are getting next year. We would also build the school and add some other barb varieties as well.

Some questions:

Are red glass barbs the same as rosy barbs? Are they ever dyed? The ones in my lfs are awfully bright and colorful - beautiful but makes me suspicious.

How fast do they grow? Could 5-6 of them stay in the 26 for a year? They would be the only middle level fish in the tank.

Thanks!!

0 Not allowed!
    I just googled them and I read that they grow to 5" each - don't know how fast that happens, but I'm thinking 26 gal isn't going to be big enough for a school of them - you might want to wait until you have that 180 gal tank first.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default Rosy Barbs

0 Not allowed!
    Rosy Barbs grow to 5 " long and belong in schools of a minium of 5. A 26 gallong tank is pushing it for a year. Most fish become full grown at 9 to 12 months, so I believe your tank would be to small for the school of 5" rosy barbs. Now if you were to buy a tank in 6 months, you would probably be alright. To my knowledge the red in rosy barbs is natural. I have never heard of die being used on them (although you never know).

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK thanks. I am hoping to get the 180 in 6 months, but you never know how things turn out, so I was wanting to give myself a year buffer....would hate to get them and then not be able to get the 180 in time. Maybe we will start with a smaller barb and wait on the rosys. Gold barbs or green barbs maybe? I think those stay smaller.