· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Three males in twelve gallon?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm in the middle of cycling a 12 gallon eclipse (base dimensions 12" x 10") and I'm trying thinking of putting three male killifish in, possibly different subspecies of Fundulopanchax gardneri as I've heard they can be personable and are fairly easy to keep. I would keep them without females, possibly with a school of Corydoras habrosus and/or a giant African fan shrimp (Atya gabonensis).

Has anyone else kept multiple males in this tank size? Would it be better to forget about the cories and keep more killies? I'd like to keep more than one since I think it would be fun to watch them interact and establish a pecking order. Are they solitary in the wild?

Would dwarf cories be eaten? I'm not too worried about the shrimp, since I've read that they grow to 3-6 inches. Should I still be worried?

Also, could anyone please point me to a good source for killifish information? I just "discovered" them a few days ago and have been researching them obsessively, but information seems rather hard to come by.

0 Not allowed!
    Cories would do ok with these killies since they occupy different levels of the tank. I would not keep more than one male unless the tank is very heavily planted. Even so, because of the size of the tank You should expect some fighting.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, that's good to know. They don't establish some sort of pecking order? Oh yes, have you kept gularis at all? I've read that they can be very petlike, which
    makes some sense since they're fairly large. Not sure about keeping them, though. I've read everything from 5 to 20 gallons as the minimum tank size!

I think they'd eat the cories though. And I've read that they prefer the middle and lower levels of the tank?

Maybe I should start a new thread, but...I feel like I'd be double posting or something...