· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 40 gallon breeder and corals

0 Not allowed!
    In about a week im out to buy another 40gallon breeder so i can have a fw planted and a sw reef tank.

I know that since 40gallons are not as tall as other tanks would a dual bulb t5 be sufficient enough to grow corals? im not trying to grow the most complicated of corals. mostly low level stuff.

since im not even gonna have a light on the tank for a few weeks i guess i could stop being stingy and save up for a 4 bulb but im trying to save money wherever i can.

also could i get some recommendations on corals that are easier to start off with? thanks a bunch
    40 Gallon Breeder Planted: harlequin rasbora rummynose tetra corydoras cherry barbs

40 Gallon Breeder Reef: In progress!

0 Not allowed!
    I would recommend soft corals such as leathers, mushrooms, button polyps, clove polyps, and green star polyps. All are really easy to grow, some to the point they could take over your tank when they are very happy

As for your lighting, I would not recommend a 2 bulb T5HO. Although that should be enough to support softies, if you even want any other types of corals you would need to up-grade. I would recommend the 4 bulb T5HO fixture. That way you can keep what ever coral you want in that tank

I friend of mine had a 40 gallon breeder tank with SPS, LPS, and soft corals in it. He had a 4 bulb fixture on his tank and all of his corals grew like weeds. I used to buy a ton of frags from him as he was constantly selling them due to the high growth rates

Here's a few more ideas as well
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=89069
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks a bunch.

ill be picking up the tank next week and starting a journal on here.

im most likely gonna buy a few pieces of cure live rock and cure the rest myself(cured is like 7.99 a lb at my lfs)

so the tank will sit for a few weeks covered without a light while its cycling
    40 Gallon Breeder Planted: harlequin rasbora rummynose tetra corydoras cherry barbs

0 Not allowed!
    Also, take some time to read-up on the options for a 4 bulb fixture. Specifically, how the bulbs are controlled.

Some fixtures will have a separate power cord and switch for each pair of bulbs. I prefer this one as you can completely control them separately with timers, set more than one photo period per 24 cycle, or just not use one set of bulbs all together. These will also typically have a few LED moon lights on them controlled by a third power cord and switch. This is the type that I personally prefer.

Other fixtures have one power cord and a single internal timer for sets of bulbs. Some of those are not too flexible and may limit your timing options. But you only have one cord to plug in and no extra timers to buy

Just take some time and read-up on to figure out what you like, if you have not done this already
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i purchased an aquatic life dual bulb t5 for my freshwater tank which im really happy with.

they also make a model for sw that has 4 bulbs, 2 led moon lights, and a built in timer. It has three cords controlled the 2 10k daylight, 2 actinic and the led moonlights. it's a bit more than i wanted to pay but i think it would be well worth it.

i've been told that most people run both the 10k and the actinic for about 8 hrs, the turn of the 10k and let the actinic run for another 2 hours, or somewhere around that ratio.

here are the links of the two lights ive been looking at

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=23758

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLi...FIT54U-vi.html

0 Not allowed!
    I have a older version of the aquatic-life fixture that you linked

It's pretty good fixture.

I use a mixture of superblue 20K, white 12K and actinic bulbs. I prefer to use more super blue than white as it still gives your corals a lot of usable light and less usable light for algae.