Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
  ...

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 15

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,201

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    You needed one - korith   I hope it helps with your studying... good luck! - Alfcea   Here ya go! - Wild Turkey   Thanks for your Vista help! - gabbyguppy   puffers are cool - glarior   

    Default sealing a beer can for display in SW aquarium


    0 Not allowed!
    I am doing a big fish tank build and my father is helping me with the manual labor part of it. I want to surprise him and add a beer can (or cans) to the tank when completed since I am paying him in beer lol.

    What would I use that will seal the can and not harm anything in the tank?
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    42,943

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Why seal it? It needs to sink. But you don't want fish trying to get inside the can as that's some sharp metal.

  3. #3

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by glarior
    I am doing a big fish tank build and my father is helping me with the manual labor part of it. I want to surprise him and add a beer can (or cans) to the tank when completed since I am paying him in beer lol.

    What would I use that will seal the can and not harm anything in the tank?
    you should definately use a barely cracked then sealed can for a few reasons. first because you need the air to get out but you dont want the fish to try and get in.. and second, because you dont wanna have to coat the inside of the can with protective sealant..

    not really sure of the type of sealent/paint you need to get. ill try and help you look.
    Last edited by heyitsmeallen; 11-02-2012 at 08:10 PM.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    10,055

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    He is refering to sealing it to prevent metals from entering the water hobbs. Not closing the can.

    Krylon fusion might be a option if you can find it uncolored
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,201

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    You needed one - korith   I hope it helps with your studying... good luck! - Alfcea   Here ya go! - Wild Turkey   Thanks for your Vista help! - gabbyguppy   puffers are cool - glarior   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William
    He is refering to sealing it to prevent metals from entering the water hobbs. Not closing the can.

    Krylon fusion might be a option if you can find it uncolored
    I will look that up

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Why seal it? It needs to sink. But you don't want fish trying to get inside the can as that's some sharp metal.
    I can ground the lid if I had to.

    Quote Originally Posted by heyitsmeallen
    you should definately use a barely cracked then sealed can for a few reasons. first because you need the air to get out but you dont want the fish to try and get in.. and second, because you dont wanna have to coat the inside of the can with protective sealant..

    not really sure of the type of sealent/paint you need to get. ill try and help you look.
    Yea, thats what I was thinking so it will sink. I just don't know the kind of sealant. They talk about it all the time on TV but no clue what it really is. If you find something let me know.

    I will keep looking as well

    Thanks!
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    927

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    No Message - korith   No Message - Indian Woods Angels   You need a Tanganyikan Cichlid - jeffs99dime   Now you have 4 firemouths! - seb's fish   Arapaima and whale shark in 20G made me LOL! - ddavis1979   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Northerly   Autism - Northerly   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by glarior
    They talk about it all the time on TV but no clue what it really is. If you find something let me know.

    Lol you mean flex-seal? That's the one I see advertised on TV allllll the time. It's black though.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,201

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    You needed one - korith   I hope it helps with your studying... good luck! - Alfcea   Here ya go! - Wild Turkey   Thanks for your Vista help! - gabbyguppy   puffers are cool - glarior   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly
    Lol you mean flex-seal? That's the one I see advertised on TV allllll the time. It's black though.
    No, from that fish show Tanked. They build things then say they seal it to protect the fish.

    Flex seal is only used to fix a hole in the boat
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •