· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Honduran Red Point Fry Video

0 Not allowed!
    So dig it:

Got A pair of red points about a week ago. We had intended to eventually breed them for fun and some credit in trade at our LFS. We assumed however that having just been moved into their tank that it would take them a good while to get to know each other and spawn, and that it would take a couple spawnings before we had a successful batch. We estimated maybe a month or two.

So anyway, we move them in and the next day they are digging nests together. By day three the female is hiding in a corner and won't come out except very quickly to eat and run back. By day five the male is all aggressive when we get close to the tank.

That day while trying to figure out why he was in such a bad mood we saw the first eggs. A few days go by with them guarding the nest until all the sudden one day they are out in the front and the eggs are gone. We just assumed they ate the first batch.

Two days go by and that brings us to today. My wife goes to feed them and notices the female has a new nest right in the front. She takes a closer look to see if there are any new eggs, but instead she finds this:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...1782CDA8BD.mp4

I'll be damned if they aren't fat and active. I can believe how fast these two successfully hatched fry.

After the vid was taken our daughter noticed that the adults were getting in lip-locking dominance fights, so we removed pappa and put him in a QT tank for now. It's strange tho because I was under the impression that red points were paternal guardians like convicts, not maternal guardians. But our male wants past the female bad, and I can only assume its for a snack as she is so venomously protecting them.

He isn't very happy to be locked away alone, but oh well. He will have to deal till I can get a better setup for him.
    Last edited by Nephalem; 10-14-2012 at 06:35 AM.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org