· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Post Asking for help with age/sex of GBR

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there I have been reading the sticky on sexing GBR's but I still can not figure it out!! so I was wondering if anybody on a/c could offer assistance and also give any indication of their age as I am thinking one of them may be quiet young compared to the other. Thanks in advance for any help/advice given.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can't tell on the first one. I've never seen one that didn't even have the black spot. But the one in the second pic looks like a female to me. There is a blue sheen in the black spot. Typically, males with have a bold black spot with no blue shining in it. Also, if im correct on this, females have black stripes on their 2 front fins. But don't solely rely on my answer. Im sure somebody much more knowledgable than me will come along soon to help out.

0 Not allowed!
    @ Omega3s - the black lines on the front fins does not help with sexing. I know the info on this forum says so, but My female has black on her two front fins.

The best way to sex em is by the black spot as mentioned already, the pink on the belly of the females, and the shape of their head. Males have a rounder bulky looking head.
    Roll the Dice!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys for the assistance so the second pic is a female, and do you think that it could be that the first pic is juvenile and has just not developed his/her full markings yet as such?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Very well could be!

or you got lucky (if you view it that way) and stumbled upon a ram with a slightly different color variant. Always neat to see something different IMO

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would say the second is female. The first I would guess is just really young yet. I can't help you with that one either.

7. Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank
    Very well could be!

or you got lucky (if you view it that way) and stumbled upon a ram with a slightly different color variant. Always neat to see something different IMO
    i guess that's how golds, long finned and electric blues came about , we could be witnessing the start of a new ear !