· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Input needed re:T8s+stunner strips

0 Not allowed!
    Hi. I feel like I am totally spamming this section of the board. I am really kinda obsessed with getting my tank right.

I am interested in growing low to medium light plants in my 48"long, 20" (or so)high, 12"deep FW tank. Right now I have two 18" T8s in there...one is 6700k 15w, one is 10,000k 15w. That's not enough to grow anything.

I am interested in buying two 24" ecoxotic stunner strips in 8000k to supplement my existing lighting (actually buying just one to see how it goes). Does anyone have any experiences or opinions about whether or not this is enough light to grow the plants I want?

There are many who advocate T5s, but they are just so hot, and the power saving and ease of use in the LEDs looks good. Also, they would quite affordable as a supplement. But not if they won't work!

TIA!

0 Not allowed!
    Low to medium light plants generally require 1-2 watts per gallon. I'd recommend at least 75 watts of light on a tank this size(55 gallons).
    EDIT: How many watts are the stunner strips you mentioned?
    Last edited by Northerly; 10-06-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    You can not really use the watts per gallon rule of thumb when it comes to LEDs. I had 144 watts of good quality LEDs running at 75% and I found that just as bright as 432 watts of T5HO in a average to low quality T5 fixture

But all of this would depend on the quality of the LEDs used to make the light you are talking about. I would suggest trying to see these LEDs set up on a tank if that could be a option for you
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm hadn't realized that he meant LEDs, never used LEDs that much anyways. Thanks cliff:p
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    It gets really tricky when you want to combine different types of lighting on the same tank. I know as I'm currently trying that on my 120 gallon tank

Sometimes you just have to try it and see
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff, I was sent a photo by the manufacturer of a tank set up with 8000k strips. However, how many were used wasn't specified. I sent ecoxotic an email asking if this would work, and they replied yes. I was originally looking into the 12" strips, they suggested the 24".

There is literally no data on how this will work (that compendium on LEDs on plantedtank has unuseable data as supplied by ecoxotic).

I guess I am hoping that I am not being swindled by the company. The idea of actually being able to afford a significant upgrade is almost too good to be true, IMO.

EDIT: They are 12watt, here is the link (please don't ban me, not spamming!!):http://www.ecoxotic.com/stunner-led-strips-12-watt.html

0 Not allowed!
    Perphaps you could ask them what type of LEDs are used in their fixtures and the total number and wattage of these LEDs

Good quality LEDs like Cree or appollo would give you very good light levels while the cheap knock-off brands would not be nearly as good. That would provide a better idea of the light you could get